Usable As Pim?

Lynoure

Still Fresh
I'm a long term Palm user, and I'd love to replace it with something else. Can Pandora be easily programmed to wake itself up? That is, can it work as a PIM device? Nokia N8x0 cannot, based on what I have heard, and so I'm looking for something else.

@Lynoure Braakman. Welcome. Ignore quasist, he's not exactly a Pandora fan!

There are many people that want this functionality, and it is likely to be possible one way or another. It is even likely that Pandora can have the battery life and low power consumption to leave it on with screen off for extended periods, thus avoiding the need to be woken. Read Mali's links for more info.

Unlike a Nokia / palm / iWhatever, software will be written and ported by the community rather than come with ever program pre-loaded, so these things will come but not necessarily out of the box.

quasist said:
Lynoure Braakman said:
I'm a long term Palm user, and I'd love to replace it with something else. Can Pandora be easily programmed to wake itself up? That is, can it work as a PIM device? Nokia N8x0 cannot, based on what I have heard, and so I'm looking for something else.
For you as a stypid pandora ****** that cannot read(wrong section of forum) even calculator should work fine as PIM

Quasy,

When are you sending me that case of whatever it is you're drinking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Prophet said:
quasist said:
Lynoure Braakman said:
For you as a stypid pandora ****** that cannot read(wrong section of forum) even calculator should work fine as PIM

Quasy,

I think it might be Absinthe with a hint of ammonia.

Lynoure Braakman said:
There are several issues here.
1) The N8x0 can wake themselves up, you can even set an alarm that makes an N8x0 boot itself, from power off, at the alarm time. So, hardware wise, the N8x0 may be even better than the Pandora in this respect - I haven't heard anyone describing such a feature for the Pandora. If it's there, nobody's been telling.
2) What you need, though, is software. And there's the rub. The N8x0s aren't working well as PIM devices because the software just isn't there. There's GPE calendar, and some other attempts, but to PDA users these fall short, unless your requirements are simple.
3) One reason software is easier on a Palm, for example, is that it has an operating system designed around the whole PIM concept. There's not a filesystem, and independently running programs and daemons, everything's just a set of databases and it's very easy to, say, link ToDo issues to the Calendar and Contacts. And link it all into the Alarm system.
4) Which doesn't mean it's impossible to do the same on a Pandora (or N8x0), it's just quite a bit more work. And you will probably have to create it as a complete suite, which is what GPE tries, and some others. They are just not very good at the moment, and they're a bit big and slow.
5) However, if your PIM requirements are covered by the limited functionality on the level of Google Calendar and the like, then that's not out of reach in the short term.

Tor

Tor said:
There are several issues here.
1) The N8x0 can wake themselves up, you can even set an alarm that makes an N8x0 boot itself, from power off, at the alarm time. So, hardware wise, the N8x0 may be even better than the Pandora in this respect - I haven't heard anyone describing such a feature for the Pandora. If it's there, nobody's been telling.
2) What you need, though, is software. And there's the rub. The N8x0s aren't working well as PIM devices because the software just isn't there. There's GPE calendar, and some other attempts, but to PDA users these fall short, unless your requirements are simple.
3) One reason software is easier on a Palm, for example, is that it has an operating system designed around the whole PIM concept. There's not a filesystem, and independently running programs and daemons, everything's just a set of databases and it's very easy to, say, link ToDo issues to the Calendar and Contacts. And link it all into the Alarm system.
4) Which doesn't mean it's impossible to do the same on a Pandora (or N8x0), it's just quite a bit more work. And you will probably have to create it as a complete suite, which is what GPE tries, and some others. They are just not very good at the moment, and they're a bit big and slow.
5) However, if your PIM requirements are covered by the limited functionality on the level of Google Calendar and the like, then that's not out of reach in the short term.

Tor
The old Psions had extremastically good PIMs, and they were kitted out with a FAT-like file system and regular executing programs, so it's not as if it's impossible with a "normal" O/S...

CandidStan said:
Prophet said:
quasist said:
Quasy,

I figured somebody had been huffing paint...

CandidStan said:
Prophet said:
quasist said:
Lynoure Braakman said:

Quasy,

Sure that isn't Ammonia with a hint of Absinthe?

NearTao said:
The whole pandora's subforum is all about sniffing paint.

quasist said:
NearTao said:
The whole pandora's subforum is all about sniffing paint.So if you don't like it, don't read it and stop posting stupid comments.

quasist said:
The whole pandora's subforum is all about sniffing paint.
Nahh... The only one glue sniffin' is you quasist... But you're the resident obnoxious troll, so we just roll our eyes at your pontifications and move on... ;)

Angstrom Linux supports this "Opie" thing. Reading up about Opie led me to some screen shots of its "PIM" suite. Looks like it has everything. INCLUDING the ability to interact with palm devices via bluetooth.

http://opie.handhelds.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Features
http://opie.handhelds.org/gallery/main.php/v/opie12/

Sweet! In theory my Tapwave Zodiac's appointments, to-do list etc. should just beam right over and I'll be up and running with a full kick bootie gaming PDA replacement for my Zodiac.

Can't wait to try it out. . .

Wegg said:
Angstrom Linux supports this "Opie" thing. Reading up about Opie led me to some screen shots of its "PIM" suite. Looks like it has everything. INCLUDING the ability to interact with palm devices via bluetooth.

http://opie.handhelds.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Features
http://opie.handhelds.org/gallery/main.php/v/opie12/

Sweet! In theory my Tapwave Zodiac's appointments, to-do list etc. should just beam right over and I'll be up and running with a full kick bootie gaming PDA replacement for my Zodiac.

Can't wait to try it out. . .

That looks cool. It looks remarkably Palm-like. (Which is good as far as I'm concerned.)

Back