USB external Hardrive...hmmm...

bannanapie

Still Fresh
Is it possible to say hook up an external USB Hardrive? So say someone wrote up a program that enabled the user to have the GP32's USB connection cabe to be hooked up instead of a computer to an external HD...maybe? course I dunno how to address the problem of energy needs for the HD and if it's possible at all... ;)

Anything is possible, but the GP32's USB port is a slave and USB hard/CD drives are slaves. USB slave to slave won't work.

Some kind of adapter, to fool both slaves into thinking the drive is the slave and the GP32 is the master might work.

Since almost all PDAs are USB slaves, someone may be working on this now. If somone does solve this, drivers for the GP32 would be an issue.

This would be very interesting/cool, but very hardcore project. As with most idea regarding the GP32, I doubt it would ever come to light due to the knowledge and time that would be needed. (Actually, this was discussed up to a year ago, if I recall .. :))

It reminds me of something a student would do as a term project. It involves a lot of disciplines and knowledge. You'd have to know how to build (and program) an adapter that would make the USB slave drive think it was talking to a master, not to mention write drivers to interface with the drive, then provide a compact power source for the drive. (Do harddrives run off of the 5v or 12v source?)

But if, if you've got the knowledge and time.... :) :) :)

One of the technical specs pages someone did for the GP32, they mentioned that the GP32 can run in client ("slave") and unpowered host modes. Assuming this information is correct, "fooling" the hardware is no longer an issue.

However, writing program to access that drive and read files from it would still be an non-trivial exercise. Also, unless you're planning on building a custom battery pack for the HD, it will need to be plugged into the wall. This makes it even less useful.

I disagree. It would be great if you didnt have a computer handy, but had an mp3 collection on the portable HDD. That means that when theres a power port handy, you can swap what mp3s you want etc. Would work with roms and other programs as well.

I would find it very handy.

hmm tell me if i'm wrong but some MP3 players have a HDD right ?
and they don't need to be plugged on the wall right?

we just have to follow the example :)

Back