Usb Otg Adapters - Which Ones, And Where To Get?

Matthias_H

So it looks like for connecting something as basic as a mouse or external keyboard to the Pandora's OTG, we are going to need a micro-A-male - to regular-A-female adapter. From how I understand it, micro-B won't work because of the ID pin that is supposed to tell the Pandora to act as a host.

(Alternatively, we could use the EHCI port with a hub, which I guess is something we don't really want.)

Sadly, on the web I mostly found mini-B-male to regular-A-female, whatever these may be good for. Does anyone know a source for "real" OTG adapters?

Thanks,
Matthias

strider_mt2k said:
I thought mini B male to A female is a "real" adapter?
It may be "real" in the sense as "existing, touchable" - but that doesn't mean it serves the purpose I'd expect it to. Or does it?

Last edited by a moderator:
calc84maniac said:
This one works perfectly with the OTG port on my TI-84+.
Nice find! In fact, this is the first true mini-A adapter I've seen in a long time, the only other one being the one that came with my AT90USBKey dev board. Kind of expensive, though.

zombiesatemygoldfish said:
Well, that's kind of my question. My guess is that it won't, since the different shape of the B should (according to the specification as I understand it) cause the Pandora to think it's connected to an external host, not to a device.

It would be useful if Open Pandora sold the correct cable on the various Pandora websites...

www.gbax.com
shop.gp2x.de
www.gp2xtr.com

...or is this just stating the obvious (what's the punctuation for a rhetorical question?).

Speccy Geek said:
It would be useful if Open Pandora sold the correct cable on the various Pandora websites...

www.gbax.com
shop.gp2x.de
www.gp2xtr.com

...or is this just stating the obvious (what's the punctuation for a rhetorical question?).

Yep. Both of the cables mentioned in this thread don't appear to be available in the UK directly.

Maybe they could buy in bulk and resell. I'd be happy to buy a quality cable and know what I'm getting rather than the guesswork involved.

USB on Pandora sure is a bit more complicated than I wish. I wish we didn't have to use these adaptors.

I have a 10cm long cable I got from conics.net when I bought my latest Zaurus, but I also recently received an extremely low-cost adapter from Dealextreme which also works perfectly:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26783

My guess is that it won't, since the different shape of the B should (according to the specification as I understand it) cause the Pandora to think it's connected to an external host, not to a device.

The shape is only to prevent it being inserted into mini-B only sockets which aren't capable of being used as a host. The crucial difference is the wiring of the ID pin in the plug to ground; I used that to fabricate host cables out of mini-B cables years ago when they just weren't available without paying a hefty premium.

Most of the cheap chinese cables don't bother using the mini-A plugs because they're hard to get - especially now that they've been effectively deprecated by the USB standards group.

I saw that OTG adapter on dealextreme... it's cheap but isn't a cable better... just worried it might put too much stress on the small USB connector

Edit: cr*p, ok, ignore... has to learn to read properly... N800 is mini B shaped, not A.

Edit2: just rembered, I bought for my N800 a mini A to emale A OTG cable in the "media market" , it does not fit the N800 but should work on Pandora. So you can get those things also locally.

I'm hoping this has the correct connectors
Mini-USBOTGCable.jpg
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-USB-OTG-On-The-Go-Host-Lead-Cable-Cable-Convertor_W0QQitemZ180428424930QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET?hash=item2a025f46e2#ht_500wt_1182

Back