USB Type-C connectors showed up at Digikey...

I read that the new MacBook has a USB Type-C connector on it. And a headphone socket. And that's it - nothing else. Good luck trying to charge and plug in a mouse at the same time, unless you carry around a USB hub. Definite case of form over function there IMO.

It does mean USB C peripherals are surely on the way, albeit somewhat overpriced Apple compatible peripherals for now.
I don't understand why the apple MacBook even has the headsets jack. The USB type C standard supports headsets as well. They could have designed it with just the USB type C connector.

But just because Apple does stupid things does not require other manufacturers to follow them.

I don't understand why the apple MacBook even has the headsets jack. The USB type C standard supports headsets as well. They could have designed it with just the USB type C connector.
Maybe because people don't necessarily want to use apple brand headsets or need adapters to use their current headset...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am probably not going to buy a Pyra any time soon, I will probably end up with the Pyra 2 (Pandora 3?) :p

So my opinion and preferences don't matter much.

But I have vowed to avoid buying any new technology without USB Type-C if possible. I want to minimize the amount of time where I have devices with both Micro USB and USB C hanging around.

Well I am probably not going to buy a Pyra any time soon, I will probably end up with the Pyra 2 (Pandora 3?) :p

So my opinion and preferences don't matter much.

But I have vowed to avoid buying any new technology without USB Type-C if possible. I want to minimize the amount of time where I have devices with both Micro USB and USB C hanging around.

I find this amusing.

What do you currently own that uses USB Type-C connectors?

Nothing, but for example, I am holding off on buying a new phone to replace my note 3 until one I like has Type-C.

I am trying to stick with full size type A connectors as much as possible since I have so many things that use them, some of which I plan to use for at least a few more decades.  I guess I could get adapters for them.  I don't know if they will work for some of them (maybe I should look into compatibility in the standards, and see if these small run devices will be a problem for those that are kinda misusing USB).

Nothing, but for example, I am holding off on buying a new phone to replace my note 3 until one I like has Type-C.

Interesting.  I just bought four refurbished Galaxy Note 3 phones so that each of my family members has one.  I consider it the pinnacle of the Galaxy Note series.  I had a Note 2 before.  The whole family loves their phone.  One of the things they love about it?  The wide microUSB 3.0 charging connector.  The fact that I can run data in/out of the phones through at USB 3 speeds is a bonus too.  Heck, I even have a Samsung Note MHL docking station with the narrower microUSB 2 connector in it - that works fine in the microUSB 3 port.

microUSB 3.0 has MANY advantages, particularly compatibility with every phone charger, dock and device made for any Android phone for the last 8 or so years.  It will take years for USB-C to catch on.  I think it will eventually, and should be considered for a successor for the Pyra ~5 years from now.  But right now, microUSB 3.0 OTG + two USB 2.0 host ports + microUSB format charging port is the best solution.  ED has it right.

Note 3 is such a great phone! I got mine 2 years ago instead of Pandora.
Sadly it was the last real Note. The Note 4 had a finger print reader, and the Note 5 is fully encolsed like the iPhone.
The battery life is HUGE even while playing PSX games with a clamp controller, and  the Snapdragon 800 is still a very powerful SoC.
The WACOM digitizer is also great, I use it mostly when I need to remotely access my machines or Windows Servers.
It is a real shame that such a great device uses Android OS :(  and this is my reason to replace it with Pyra.

PS: The Samsung Advanced Dock for the Note 2 (the one with the 2 USB ports and HDMI Out) also works with the Note 3 :)

We have the same Samsung dock.  It's a great idea - but I wish the software support for it was just a touch better on the HDMI output.

Back