Using Samba On Win Xp Sp2

BenScar

What does this do again?
Website
Visit site
Hello there,

I've got the little problem using the Samba connection of the 2x.
On my workgroup machine it's no problem at all, connects up, lets me view the file share, and even access the web server.

Problem occurs when I try to access the GP2x from my work machine. It's set up to use an active directory so when using UNCs and things like that it assumes there is a username and password.

When I try to open the GP2x up using the UNC path name, it asks for username and password.
It's coming up with gp2x\guest and refuses all passwords I've tried (including blank).
Using the "map network drive" I tried specifing "gp2x\root" and a blank password, but that just returned the username/password box with the username "gp2x\guest" again.

Anyone else having this problem?
(just going to seach now..... Should have done that first!)

Nope, all I can find is this about unencrypted passwords, which is Here

Hope someone can help :)
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you could edit your samba config on the gp2x, create a user with a password and assign that user in the samba config file. Make sure that Windows isn't setup to only allow encrypted passwords though, or it's never going to work.

If I look high enough, I can see your reply :)

Sorry Squidge, that went over my head a little... I'll have a poke about in the files on the 2x, see what I can see.

If I search will I find this on the board by any chance? :)

Thanks
Ben
---

Sorry, I don't play around with Samba much, so can't really give you more than hints.

So, firstly, use the "adduser" command when telnetted into the gp2x and add another user. Then use "passwd <username you created>" to give that user a password. Try and connect over samba using that username and password combination.

If it doesn't work, have a sniff at the samba configuration file, although I can't help you much here, as the samba configuration is normally managed by someone else here; I just alter small things in it like add an additional share, and then call someone over when it no longer works at all :)

Back