Video Formats Revisited... There's An Issue

Still Fresh
You guys seem to think that any video format supported on x86 Linux will work. My understanding is that many of the video codecs on x86 Linux are actually binary, either binary Linux versions or windows versions with a wrapper.

So wouldn't this keep codecs like say, Real Video 8/9/10, from working? AFAIK there aren't open source versions of those. What about the newer MS formats?

aaa said:
You guys seem to think that any video format supported on x86 Linux will work. My understanding is that many of the video codecs on x86 Linux are actually binary, either binary Linux versions or windows versions with a wrapper.

So wouldn't this keep codecs like say, Real Video 8/9/10, from working? AFAIK there aren't open source versions of those. What about the newer MS formats?
1. VLC is open source and uses open source codecs, and it can play Real video (for example). But honestly, who uses Real video?
2. There are open source WMV codecs available
3. What? Wrapped Windows codecs? Really? I've never heard of that...
4. If a codec isn't open source, it probably doesn't exist for Linux anyways (usually, a company either makes a codec for Windows, basta, or they "open" it by publishing specs)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the OP is talking about the binary codecs that mplayer infamously uses when an open alternative isn't available.

aaa said:

FFMpeg is open source and can play most Real Video files.

Most of the MS formats work fine, except WMA Pro which is still under development.

Realvideo support is a non issue as FFmpeg has a decoder for all currently available versions (rv1 - rv4) since December 2008.

It is true that some formats do rely on binary windows codecs this is not true with the majority of codecs that you will need.

Isaac702 said:
It is true that some formats do rely on binary windows codecs this is not true with the majority of codecs that you will need.

Indeed, and if you have any files that use any of these oddball codecs laying around you're probably going to want to transcode them into something that is going to take up less space anyways, since almost all of these oddball codecs are bloated.

It is true, also, that the ffmpeg project as it exists for x86 has many codecs with x86 assembly routines in them as well.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that, though, as there have been ARM versions of this ported for Windows Mobile and many other ARM platforms existing for a long time. Those include most of the major formats you'd want to use (myself, i'm only concerned with divx/xvid which shouldn't be far off since they are available in many ARM ports of VLC and MPLayer).

Cheers,

Collin

There's ARM optimisation in code of FFMPEG not only x86. FFMPEG support Realvideo 4 with the last version from the begining of this year

Also remember that there is a port of GStreamer to the OMAP3 officialy by Texas Instruments :)

https://gstreamer.ti.com/gf/project/gstreamer_ti/wiki/
https://gforge.ti.com/gf/project/gstreamer_ti/

dflemstr said:
aaa said:
1. VLC is open source and uses open source codecs, and it can play Real video (for example). But honestly, who uses Real video?

Actually, every single asian file uses realvideo for some unknown reason. Those files always weigh in at around 90MB which would probably explain why. I dont know why they dont just use xvid with lower quality settings until it is also 90MB? Maybe because there is no asian version of xvid or something.

invinciblegod said:
dflemstr said:
aaa said:

Actually, every single asian file uses realvideo for some unknown reason. Those files always weigh in at around 90MB which would probably explain why. I dont know why they dont just use xvid with lower quality settings until it is also 90MB? Maybe because there is no asian version of xvid or something.

maybe the government video control tools support only realvideo?

invinciblegod said:

Between video from Japanese websites and torrented anime raws, it seems like usually video files from websites are realvideo. Something about higher quality at smaller sizes. However I don't see those as often for larger videos like raws for anime, possibly because they know they're going to be fansubbed. More often I see mp4, followed by avi and mkv.

-Tj- said:
Between video from Japanese websites and torrented anime raws, it seems like usually video files from websites are realvideo. Something about higher quality at smaller sizes. However I don't see those as often for larger videos like raws for anime, possibly because they know they're going to be fansubbed. More often I see mp4, followed by avi and mkv.
RealVideo 3/4 is just a hack of H.264. They released it before H.264 was done and it had a bunch of bugs. It's not higher quality, usually realvideo files are from several years ago, or whoever encoded it has a very old encoder.

Back