Want To Code For Gp32. What Should I Study?

Website
Visit site
HeLLo. I want to code for the GP32, and have no programming knowledge, I don't know where to start, so HELP ME PLEEZ!!! Perhaps C or C++, but you have to know other stuff before you can study that right?

Maybe I should get "Programming for Dummies"...

Sorry if this iz a stoopid topic... :(

ok, I have very limited knowledge of coding
I can make an app, have it ask you questions, then It will tell you stuff based on answers.... thats it
however, while learning that, I used the book " C for dummies vol.1 "
it was very informative - then go vol.2 if ya like it
I liked it
I think that you should start at C , then learn C++ , then finally a bit of ASM or ARM or whatevr its called
C++ builds off of C , so its good to start somewhere
thats about all I can contribute to this discussion, sorry
o ya, also, there are a few game design books around, cause more than good coding is needed for a good game

~Octavious

We need the seasoned advice of a real coder here i think, i'd like some advice on this subject too.

Well you shouldn't forget that it takes at least a couple of years to obtain programming skills to speak of. Personally I think just plain good old C is a good place to start. I'd get a good book on C, preferably one that has good examples and excersizes (and make sure you do them!). As soon as you can write simple programs on your PC you can start writing gp32 stuff.

20-40 dollars is a great investment if you can find a good book. If you can get your hands on a copy of visual studio you can use that for development under windows, and if you're looking for a free compiler/ide I can recommend devc++ over at www.bloodshed.net. It's free and it's for linux and windows.

Mirko's sdk is the best GP32 sdk for noobs I think, because it has a lot of basic functions built in like changing clockspeed, drawing sprites etc.

Have fun

Note sticky in new developers forums: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=14318

Someone at gbadev.org reccomended Primer Plus C:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

Learn C first (as it is smaller then C++ and easier to understand) then C++ with all its object orientated design and if you have time assembly.

edit: If you have no programming knowledge at all then it may be best to start with a language like Pascal or Basic just to learn the fundementals of programming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx everybody, especially Jr2swiss for the online tutorials [which I'll probably be reading on my Gp32 :)] . I've always wanted to code, and i thought Gamepark would be a deserving place to start. In a couple years I promise i'll release some twisted, sell-worthy freeware games. Meanwhile I'll probably use Gigas engine or something to make games.

edit: If you have no programming knowledge at all then it may be best to start with a language like Pascal or Basic just to learn the fundementals of programming.

BTW, is there any site that will tell me how to pick up on that?

I'll probably pick up C for Dummies and type it all out [my method of learning].

Back