Waterproof Pandora: Liquipel

Seems to good to be practical..... based on what I've seen there it looks like it just acts as an ultra thin insulator coating entire device... so with the device so thoroughly insulated... how are you supposed to interface with it? Headphones... chargers.. USB... TV-out... surely they would also be effectively blocked by this stuff... if not, what am I missing?

- Neelix

What about case cracks? They will let water in anyway.

My Pandora (a July 2011 unit) has just developed two... :angry:

http://golden-shellback.com/

Something similar I read about a few years back.

Yeah it seems like the technology isn't new (bee around since the 50s or something?) but this company takes orders right now while others only have a "contact me" form or something.

Seems to good to be practical..... based on what I've seen there it looks like it just acts as an ultra thin insulator coating entire device... so with the device so thoroughly insulated... how are you supposed to interface with it? Headphones... chargers.. USB... TV-out... surely they would also be effectively blocked by this stuff... if not, what am I missing?

- Neelix

Nothing is blocked. Things that make physical contact, like plugs for headphones etc., still conduct electricity, but water can't touch the metal by the nano coating (or somtehing like that) so there are no short circuits.

What about case cracks? They will let water in anyway.

My Pandora (a July 2011 unit) has just developed two... :angry:

The device is insulated inside and outside, not sealed on the outside. If water gets in you just let it drip out again.

I guess it's not supposed to really use it under water, but it's supposed to protect from spills, rain, being dropped in the bathtub etc.. Either way the vids are impressive, especially the one with the handkerchief which stays dry after being dunked...

My impression was that the idea is to coat not just the outside but the innards with the stuff as well, so that even if water got inside the case it couldn't affect the electronics... that video showed what looked like a submerged phone with a headphone socket - effectively an opening into the case, so it would have been full of water unless the socket was sealed. (or the video faked)

-Neelix

EDIT: :ph34r:

Nothing is blocked. Things that make physical contact, like plugs for headphones etc., still conduct electricity, but water can't touch the metal by the nano coating (or somtehing like that) so there are no short circuits.

interesting theory... I must say that it doesn't make much sense to me based on my understanding of how electricity works.

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:

interesting theory... I must say that it doesn't make much sense to me based on my understanding of how electricity works.

- Neelix

Didn't make sense to me either, it's just what they say in on of the videos (paraphrased a bit).

But then, maybe on the molecular level there is a difference between fluids and solids when it comes to conducting electricty through a coat of nano particles small enough to let the liquid roll off thus being insulated while with a solid the direct touch is different? I mean with superconductors there is no resistance as it would take more energy to loose some (energy) to the surroundings than is available, so maybe the coating breaking up the water without allowing a direct touch (just like the lotus effect) has a simmilar effect, meaning it would take a lot more energy to flow through the water than just following the wire? Similar to how stuff in a faraday cage is safe as it takes less energy to follow the outside than it would to go through the stuff in it (simply put)?

Didn't make sense to me either, it's just what they say in on of the videos (paraphrased a bit).

But then, maybe on the molecular level there is a difference between fluids and solids when it comes to conducting electricty through a coat of nano particles small enough to let the liquid roll off thus being insulated while with a solid the direct touch is different? I mean with superconductors there is no resistance as it would take more energy to loose some (energy) to the surroundings than is available, so maybe the coating breaking up the water without allowing a direct touch (just like the lotus effect) has a simmilar effect, meaning it would take a lot more energy to flow through the water than just following the wire? Similar to how stuff in a faraday cage is safe as it takes less energy to follow the outside than it would to go through the stuff in it (simply put)?

Thats as good a theory as any I suppose... in any case its not something I'd be willing to bet my money (let alone my devices) on without a *lot* more information and evidence.

- Neelix

Back