What about a comic viewer?

Snooty

Still Fresh
This should be pretty easy for a capable coder - a program to view comics stored in ComicDisplay format - these are just JPEG files stored in ZIP or RAR archives.

The GP32 ought to be quite good for this sort of thing, I'd have thought. Just select a level of zoom and pan around the comic to read it. There are thousands of comics out there in CDisplay format (see http://www.sketchyorigins.com/comics/ for instance), and you could fit a fair few titles on a 128mb memory card.

I was thinking of attempting a program like this myself, but I suspect my C++ skills simply aren't up to it. Mind you, there must be JPEG-opening code freely available somewhere.

Any takers? :)

I, personally, would LOVE to see a comic reader for the GP32!! I've been converting the individual page files to an 800 length resolution, creating a file roughly 70-100 kbs in size per page. So each issue takes roughly 2-3 megs on a 128 meg card. I can still hold almost 50 issues, it's just a pain to convert them all. I'd love to see a program so that I didn't have to convert them over. If I knew the first thing about programming for the device, that would be my first project.

BTW, I use GPFM (the file manager) to view the pages I make, and they look great :D

I made this suggestion a while back and me and another coder were gonna do it, we then realised neither of us had the skill

I have to wonder how much skill it would take. Most of the code could probably be taken from GPL projects.

I only have Windows (Visual C++) programming experience, but I'm considering the possibility of learning how to code for the GP32 so that I could do this. It'd make the GP32 even better value, that's for sure.

if its just jpeg, why dont you simply unzip the files into a directory on your gp32 and read them using GPFM?

Get photoshop and create a script to automatically open, resize, and save images. Its not that hard.

"if its just jpeg, why dont you simply unzip the files into a directory on your gp32 and read them using GPFM? "

Because some of the pages/files, once unzipped, are VERY large. As a result, the jpg viewers currently available have a REALLY hard time reading them.

"Get photoshop and create a script to automatically open, resize, and save images. Its not that hard"

Already did that with ThumbsPlus. :lol: Not too difficult now. Just point and click. Just a little time consuming

"if its just jpeg, why dont you simply unzip the files into a directory on your gp32 and read them using GPFM? "

Because some of the pages/files, once unzipped, are VERY large. As a result, the jpg viewers currently available have a REALLY hard time reading them.
Would be strange, cause jpg already is pretty compressed... zipping shouldn't make a big difference.

Last edited:

Would be strange, cause jpg already is pretty compressed... zipping shouldn't make a big difference.
I would have thought so too, but I had one image, over 300 k, that wouldn't load.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps it would be less of a strain on the gp32 if you cropped the pages into individual panels. You retain all the quality, and it takes less time to load.

that was what the idea me and herb12 had, a program to select panels, change size and colours and resolution and stuff then save them as a whatever file

Use Irfan view i use it for everything you can just put the comic images into a dir then set irfan view to resize all the image sin the directory :) very hand tool for quick editing like croping etc and great for conversions and batch conversions ;)

:ph34r:

Back