GP2X What Fonts (/lib) Do You Use On The Gp2x ?

joyrider

Website
www.willemssoft.be
Simple question :)

what fonts do you guys use on the gp2x when programming for it? and what library. I used to use SDL_TTF but with the font that i used it isn't very clear when using a smaller font.
I tried SFont today and used some script for the gimp and sfontmaker to generate the final font file it looked a bit better then SDL_TTF even though i used the same font but i'm guessing it all depends on which font u actually use.

i'm intrested in normal fonts for normal displaying of text and monotype fonts (they have a fixed width). for entering highscores and such (so that i can make a little cursor beneath the selected letter that is always the size of 1 letter).

Unless the application was a PDF viewer of some other such thing I would never use a whole font subsystem. As soon as you use the SDL lib the size of your app mushrooms. For a game that may have only one or two fonts I would use the text function in a paint program to make a bitmap of the font(s). You then just need a tiny function that takes an x,y pos, and a string to blit the chars to screen. They will look as you intended since they won't be scaled and otherwise screwed around with.

that's basicly what sfont is/does. A few small function that u include using a header and one small c file.
but you still have to create the font as you suggest and for doing so u still have to figure out a decent size and a font that shows well on the gp2x

you should be able to produce subpixel rendered font sprites in gimp, which should improve the readability for small fonts.

Vimacs said:
you should be able to produce subpixel rendered font sprites in gimp, which should improve the readability for small fonts.
Try this: create some text ("The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog") in a word processor at the font size you want in some different fonts. When you find some font that looks good at that size, just take a screenshot and go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back