What Is Your Favourite Thing About The Wiz? What Do You Not Like?

Darkknight512

My list, Can play almost every video I throw at it (within reason), SNES, GBC/GBA, doom and transport tycoon.

What I don't like, lacks a good audio player (been using Rockbox before I got the Wiz, it's just not the same =/). It needs cross feeding and EQ.

Darkknight512 said:
My list, Can play almost every video I throw at it (within reason), SNES, GBC/GBA, doom and transport tycoon.

What I don't like, lacks a good audio player (been using Rockbox before I got the Wiz, it's just not the same =/). It needs cross feeding and EQ.
Great screen on the pro side, not enough of an upgrade over the gp2x on the bad side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pro: Apart from being open, the dpad and screen... finally black is black...

Con: Also the screen... it is too damn small. Oh, and no wifi... in this day and age.

Is transport tycoon "easy" to play on the wiz? is it not too hard to handle things?

pro: GBA, arcade games (neogeo,mame,fba) an the screen is beautifull (colors & black)
con: a bit too small for my hands, lack of video format support.

mnm said:
Is transport tycoon "easy" to play on the wiz? is it not too hard to handle things?

pro: GBA, arcade games (neogeo,mame,fba) an the screen is beautifull (colors & black)
con: a bit too small for my hands, lack of video format support.

Everything is good except you need to move the windows around a lot because QVGA is just not big enough.

What video formats are you missing? Are you using the source built version of Mplayer?

Glad people are enjoying Transport Tycoon Deluxe on the Wiz :) I played quite a bit of it myself this year while hiking in the woods and never had a problem.

About the Wiz, it has been great for me so far. I've had it for almost a year and it is still going strong. The things I like most about it are its long battery life and great screen. It is nice to have something very small for when you go backpacking! Unfortunately it is so small that sometimes I find the controls are a bit cramped. I also wish I could have had both analog and a DPAD on the left.

Transport Tycoon is one of my favorite native games on the Wiz. However I think roller coaster tycoon kinda game would be much better and less limiting on the QVGA screen.

Everything is good except you need to move the windows around a lot because QVGA is just not big enough.

What video formats are you missing? Are you using the source built version of Mplayer?

i didnt try too much but for exemple the mp4 videos from youtube doesnt work.
I also tested with mplayer which seems to be superior in term of compatibility than the wiz player.
What i do atm is reencoding my videos @ 340*220, xvid, 25fps,mp3 128kpbs.

mnm said:

i didnt try too much but for exemple the mp4 videos from youtube doesnt work.
I also tested with mplayer which seems to be superior in term of compatibility than the wiz player.
What i do atm is reencoding my videos @ 340*220, xvid, 25fps,mp3 128kpbs.

You need to add some of the file formats to a list in the mplayer folder, not everything it can play will automatically be in that list. It plays almost everything for me, avi (xvid and divx), 3gp (off youtube), flv, mp4, and h.264.

I don't convert any of the files, they all play fine up to 640x480 at up to 1.1 mbps except H.264, If I play H.264 mplayer will drop frames on fast scene changes.

I was watching Mythbusters on my wiz, it is *just* powerful enough at 800 mhz to playback a 640x480, 1.0 mbps. It will lag for the first 20 seconds then the video will be smooth. Then if there are really complex scenes it will stutter for a little bit then keep going.

As a guideline, on my Core 2 Quad at 3 Ghz, anything in VLC that uses above 2% cpu usage will not play properly. It's not exact but it seems to be pretty reliable so far.

I have been watching Starcraft 2 commentaries on my Wiz, I download the videos off youtube with keepvid.com. I simply download the 320x240, .3gp version. It play's without a hitch. I have tested FLV as well and it works equally as well, but the 3gp comes in QVGA which I guess is for phones.

Back