What should I be working on

PandaCrazy

Still Fresh
This is my first post... I have been reading these forums for 2-3 years. I'm super excited for the Pandora, its what I wished every gadget I ever touched was. Those game consoles only play games and cell phone games are getting better but no command line, gadgets that have all kinds of applications for $$ still dont do exactly what you want when you want. I switched to Linux because I want to program hardware and software for free. Then I saw the Pandora and realised why I want to learn programming. My Pandora will do everything i can imagine, it will be my remote to my computers, tv, rc cars, robots, and when I install a computer in my truck it will start it and control the windows and stuff. My question is what should I focus on as far as programming. I know C++ and I started fooling with openGL... I don't understand about using sdl, glut, x11. which one will the Pandora accept? How do I know what is portable to ARM and what is not? I think I know what the answer will be, its just nice to affirm with another human being. I have taught myself what I do know about Linux and programming, its frustrating at times, I don't know any programmers or even Linux users and google is like a broken record, It keeps pulling up the same thing. I think people read a forum and then write the same thing in another. Some body let me know what's going on with programming on the Pandora ARM so I can gear my programming towards that until I get the pandy.

Make an app that can cook you dinner. Then the Pandora really WILL do everything.

Bluetooth the microwave. Add a usb port to the blender. Have you ever herd of a "smarthouse". use panda to open and close your windows and tuck the children into bed.

I don't know any programmers or even Linux users
Now that you've registered here, you know a large brunch of these ;)

Some body let me know what's going on with programming on the Pandora ARM so I can gear my programming towards that until I get the pandy.
If you keep away of 3D stuff and crazy-hardcore hacks, the code you write for you linux desktop will just need to be recompiled for arm.

Does it have to do with the librarys?? If a program is written on my laptop in C++, it will work on pandora as long as the headers are found in the librarys? And if not 3D what should I program graphics with. Algorithims that work in the command line are not very impressive. I have no idea what to do about using graphics, I could try all kinds of different ways but I need to learn graphics in a way that will be valid on the pandoras ARM so im not wasting time and hair :unsure: for no reason. Thank you

Oh dear, I better get my robot running before you do XD

in terms of graphics, openglES works, along with sdl, sdl is pretty easy to get to grips with and is nicely cross platform.

Does it have to do with the librarys?? If a program is written on my laptop in C++, it will work on pandora as long as the headers are found in the librarys? And if not 3D what should I program graphics with. Algorithims that work in the command line are not very impressive. I have no idea what to do about using graphics, I could try all kinds of different ways but I need to learn graphics in a way that will be valid on the pandoras ARM so im not wasting time and hair :unsure: for no reason. Thank you

I would recommand you to start with SDL if you're planning a game. For a normal app QT seams to be the logical choice for a C++ programmer.

Back