When Do You Think The Pandora Will Become Available For Casual Users?

JerryG20

The indicated release date for the 3000 unit release for the Pandora on the website is June/July. Seeing how close we are to June and how the developer units (the 100 batch) hasn't even gone out, it seems June isn't going to be a possibility. So, I was wondering what everybody else thinks will be the release date for the 3000 unit batch? Craig's already hinted that they'd be willing to delay the release of the Pandora to August if they need time to polish things or work out bugs, which seems to say to me that they're pushed for time and are thinking they might end up pushing the release date back to August (and if people complain, he can just tell them that he already told them in May and that it was to polish bugs out and stuff to make the best product for the person complaining). I'm guessing it'll be released late Summer, around August or so.

What do you guys think?

Actually the developer batch is in the process of going out, that is why several devs are posting information and videos now.

craigix said:
Actually the developer batch is in the process of going out, that is why several devs are posting information and videos now.
Oh, it is? I thought only a few had gone out, and that those were part of the ~10 or so dev-kit boards that people like Squidge got. So, are you saying that Zodttd has 1 of the 100 official "developer version" Pandora units?

Well, if if the developer batch is still in the PROCESS of going out, I guess there's still reason for concern of delay because we obviously need to get the developers adequate time to develop software and find bugs (which I originally thought would take a month or so).

Last edited by a moderator:
But what's going on with the 3000? Are housings being manufactured yet? What's still "in development" as far as the hardware goes? What's left to do, besides that?

This is (as far as I can tell) the situation: Hardware development is essentially done. There will be no changes to the design except to fix bugs that may crop up. The first of the hand-assembled beta units have already shipped and more will follow soon. There will be up to 100 of them, but as these boards are time consuming to build and are being sold at a loss, they will only make enough to equip serious developers who show interest.

Those developers will use those boards to test the system and create essential software - the OS, various software libraries, the UI, package manager, web browser, whatever else is going to be bundled with the device. When the essential stuff is done and everybody is sure there are no hidden hardware issues, then the retail units will go into production.

Pre-orders will be announced ~ four weeks before the first units are expected to ship. There will be an announcement on the official site, and you can be sure that one will also be posted here within minutes of that.

There is no hard timeframe because there is still a lot to do. Nothing will go into production until both the hardware and software are fully ready. It is entirely possible that the first retail edition Pandoras could ship before the end of July. It is also possible that problems could push back release for months.

Devs will probably (though they are not required to) post updates and milestones here. When there is an official UI, you'll see it here. When there is a working web browser, it'll get posted. Don't bother asking because if it's not already up here then it isn't finished (or possibly even started).

Full disclosure: I am not part of the dev team in any capacity. I have a pretty good idea what is going on because I read these forums and I use a little common sense. Anybody who does the same will also stay in the loop.

Yes Chip, that is pretty much correct.

While we can feel people wanting us to rush to release the Pandora we also know it has to be right when released and as bug free as possible, even if 90% of the people who buy the first 3000 are hackers and gadget freaks who can deal with any bugs.

We don't want to repeat the GP2X first edition disaster, and we are doing this by sending the first editions to devs rather than the general public.

So it could well be delayed until August, but something pretty major would have to happen for it to be delayed beyond say September (such as a shortage of a part).

Everything will come together via the videos and posts on here.

Well that just about wraps up any questions I have. As long as I get my Pandora this year I'll be happy :) Thanx Chip and Craig.

Ah, so the first 100 aren't able to be preordered?

I guess I can do my development on the computer until June. :)

Edit:

or August :(

JerryG20 said:
Seeing how close we are to June and how the developer units (the 100 batch) hasn't even gone out, it seems June isn't going to be a possibility.
you decided this in the 10 days youve been a member of this forum?

i'm no veteran myself, but seriously, even if it gets bumped 1 or 2 months, that is pretty good considering this project isn't being worked by an industry giant like MS or Sony.

for them to give a 2-month window, that far in advance, and hit it within a few months is pretty good.

if this was an Xbox, they would say Q3 2008, and if they needed to push it back they would say Q4 2008 (1 quarter sounds better than 3 months. notice the difference between corporate BS and an open-community project?)

impreziv said:
I've been a member for more than 10 days and lurked for a while before registering (started lurking around ~fall/winter 2007). I don't know what kind of point you're trying to make here...

I realize the difference between corporations like Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo and the people behind the Pandora, but I'm still wondering about when people think the Pandora will be released for casual users. I was just curious to see how many think it'll be released June, July, or later. Delays happen, they are to be expected.

JerryG20 said:
impreziv said:
I've been a member for more than 10 days and lurked for a while before registering (started lurking around ~fall/winter 2007). I don't know what kind of point you're trying to make here...

I realize the difference between corporations like Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo and the people behind the Pandora, but I'm still wondering about when people think the Pandora will be released for casual users. I was just curious to see how many think it'll be released June, July, or later. Delays happen, they are to be expected.

If I had to guess and this is what this thread is about! Then and no disrespect to anyone involved in the project as well know delays can happen, I think June is very much out of the window, and giving that a few hints of August going around and the latest dev kits just going out, software needs optimising, bugs, case finalizing etc etc so a good 2 months work there, so i will say between Late July - End Aug, a nice 5-6 week window target for me!

Speaking as a hardcore enthusiast with little time or inclination to spend too much effort hacking around bugs which shouldn't find their way off of the factory floor, I've got to say that I'm thrilled that Craig and crew have consistently stated that they will take the time they need to get it right... I absolutely must have one of the first 3000 systems - no doubt of that - but I'd sooner receive a working Pandora in September or October than an unstable one in July.

I plan to buy an 3G iPhone so a push back is fine with me. Still though I wont complain if it comes out sooner father than later.

Craig...it really seems like you've got the right attitude...take as long as you need to get everything ironed out. I'm drooling after seeing those psx emulation movies but I'm more than willing to wait for something that works well instead of a buggy, rushed system that'll need a bunch of firmware updates. Thanks for creating such an awesome machine.

PS3 owners shouldn't mind so much for the release to be pushed back, they'll have Metal Gear 4 to keep them busy for a while.

craigix said:
We don't want to repeat the GP2X first edition disaster, and we are doing this by sending the first editions to devs rather than the general public.
I do believe there is a big difference between software and hardware. For launch the hardware bugs should be eliminated, but if the gui isn't finished or some other software isn't finished I wouldn't mind buying it.
You could sell the hardware as a dev unit only and also sell it to people that are more tech savvy. I would really appreciate the possibility to buy sooner. I guess it will also benefit the devs, they will have some users that can test their software.

Openmoko has the same process and nobody minds them selling a phone with bugs and only very basic possibilities. It's all about open and honest communication.

b_o_b said:
craigix said:
I do believe there is a big difference between software and hardware. For launch the hardware bugs should be eliminated, but if the gui isn't finished or some other software isn't finished I wouldn't mind buying it.
You could sell the hardware as a dev unit only and also sell it to people that are more tech savvy. I would really appreciate the possibility to buy sooner. I guess it will also benefit the devs, they will have some users that can test their software.

Openmoko has the same process and nobody minds them selling a phone with bugs and only very basic possibilities. It's all about open and honest communication.

+1!
Just give us a kernel with all necessary drivers (including 3D).. and we will install debian via chroot and debootstrap. Debian's repos are full of bugs-free arm-precompiled programs. Why should we wait for a more finger friendly GUI or for a better (faster??) OS. Yes, those things are nice and I appreciate the effort that is being made buy the software devs to create them.. but we can easily live without those additional features at first!

Back