Where To Buy Cheap Sm Cards In The Us

symbiat

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Having read through many FAQs and doing a lot of research it appears SmartMedia cards are pretty hard to find in the US. (If you do find someone selling one, often it will be around $50 :angry: ).

I found a few sources of cheap 128Mb SmartMedia cards (cheapest listed first):

www.110220volts.com ($28)
www.mobilebee.com ($35)
www.pricegrabber.com ($40)
www.audio-direct.com ($40)
www.techbonanza.us ($40)
shopping.majistic.com ($40)
mxflash.stores.yahoo.net ($40)
http://www.kingbatt.com ($41)

Hopefully this is useful information and worth pinning in the forum.

Do you mean sm cards or smcs or sd cards? Cause the gp2x needs sd cards (which are cheap there, too). The gp32 needs smc.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 11 2006 at 04:49 PM said:
doesnt look like the first one has anymore.

Yep - they cancelled my order! :angry:

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Jul 11 2006 at 04:49 PM said:
oh at and try ebay. They run for around 20 bucks.

I wish... either they are around $50 or they are $20 plus $20 shipping (I dont think mailing a SMC costs $20!).

xnopasaranx posted on Jul 11 2006 at 03:42 PM said:
Do you mean sm cards or smcs or sd cards? Cause the gp2x needs sd cards (which are cheap there, too). The gp32 needs smc.

Yes I mean SMC of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
garengarch posted on Sep 6 2006 at 09:54 AM said:
I've ordered a xd to smc converter for around £6 - xd 128 cards are about £8.99.
should work, but we'll see.

I'm really curious how this turns out. I'd hate to see the GP32 die off not because of any hardware fault but because of a lack of availability in SMCs.

DisgruntleElf posted on Sep 12 2006 at 03:39 AM said:
garengarch posted on Sep 6 2006 at 09:54 AM said:
I've ordered a xd to smc converter for around £6 - xd 128 cards are about £8.99.
should work, but we'll see.

I'm really curious how this turns out.

I'll second that. My poor FLU is starting to wear out - the major points are the buttons and now the SMC slot is flakey. And I don't even insert and remove my SMC that much! I always use Slubmans PC Drive from the firmware to transfer stuff on.

So recently, my SMC card (for whatever reason) is not contacting against the SMC slot pins as well as it used to. Last night my GP32 said that there was no SMC card inserted! My solution was to add some thickness to the card by attaching a post-it note (a self adhesive piece of paper the same size as the SMC) on the back of my SMC card - the extra thickness allowing the SMC to press more firmly against the SMC slot's pins.

Well it worked. But I think my poor FLU isn't going to last much longer - which is a pity.

Where can I get spare GP32 bits? I posted a message in the marketplace forums. I've PMed Craigix.

got the convertor, but been on holiday so haven't tried, will try tonight and let you know :)

edit: GOOD NEWS !!
nipped home from work to try it, works perfectly :)
Stuck a 16mb xd card in it, then copied GP32 file system onto it via card reader, copied over Jazz Jackrabbit, put it in my BLU+ = perfect :p

£8.99 sure as hell beats £49.99 for a 128mb card
now if only I used my gp32 sigh

garengarch posted on Sep 26 2006 at 06:14 AM said:
got the convertor, but been on holiday so haven't tried, will try tonight and let you know :)

edit: GOOD NEWS !!
nipped home from work to try it, works perfectly :)
Stuck a 16mb xd card in it, then copied GP32 file system onto it via card reader, copied over Jazz Jackrabbit, put it in my BLU+ = perfect :p

£8.99 sure as hell beats £49.99 for a 128mb card
now if only I used my gp32 sigh

Hey this is great news! You've out-smarted the smart card :lol: Could you give a little detail on the make of the converter? Is it available only on-line? Thanks for letting us know about your experiment.

Hi DE,
I found a couple using uk froogle...

The one I bought was made by NEWlink, model name xDigital Adaptor.
I bought it from kenable.co.uk for £3.36 +£2.49 postage + £0.59 vat.
Model number on invoice is NL-XDAD.

Hope this helps....

edit: To the point of the GP32 card reader wear and tear - this would help with a newer GP32, as obviously you are changing xD cards not SMC, and may help with Slaanesh. That is, you may still need to 'thicken' this adaptor, but once its in, its in..

I, personally, never found it that easy to change SMC's anyway, this is definately easier.
Biggest con being it sits maybe 25mm proud of the GP32, doesn't bother me but then I'm easy...:)

edit2: pic here http://www.newlinkproducts.co.uk/prodinfo....&prodID=204

Back