Which Is Better For Emulation Gp2x Or Gizmondo ?

The GP2X is far better for emulation. The 200Mhz GP2X can out perform the 400Mhz Gizmondo even when only using only 1 cpu, this is because the video memory on the Gizmondo is so slow.

Saying that I have a Gizmondo and its my most used handheld, it goes everywhere with me. So I would recommend getting a Gizmondo but don't expect the emulation to be any better than on the Gp2X.

Sat Nav is the main reason why my Giz goes everywhere with me but it also makes a very good MP3 player. You can also watch movies and play games. It also has a pretty good build quality so I don't have to worry about it getting broken when I'm travelling.

You can pick them up real cheap now, so if you don't have one I would recommend getting one.

slaanesh said:
Are there any region issues with Gizmondos? Do they need to be unlocked if you get one of those "advertisment enabled" ones? ie. Will it work fine in Australia?
Mine works fine, I found the GPS antenna very weak though. Will have to look at modding it at some stage I guess.

All in all not a bad little device. You can just whack a spare sim card into it and use it for sms, but I personally dont bother. And like Reesy said its a sturdy little unit. Also it uses a standard Nokia charger. So tracking down an Australian charger is a piece of piss.

edit: They dont need to be unlocked but flashing it with "Service Pack B" as its called will let you run homebrew and access WINCE mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
redstripe said:
Just curious as I already have a GP2X and thinking about getting a Gizmondo,is it worth my while ?
It depends if it is worth it for you. They are cheap. The main things I don't like about the Giz are the horrendous boot times (it even takes forever to shut down like a PC - Windows, ugh), The tiny GBA sized interlaced scan-liney screen, the lack of stereo speakers on the unit (only mono), clunky d-pad, the lack of the ability to change volume in an emu (the menu system is poorly designed), and cheesy "piano keys" that barely work. For those reasons the Gp2X is better for emulation to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to play my daily dose of Carmaggedon on my GiZ! Great translation of a wholesome family Sunday drive with the added bonus of slaughtering everything in sight. My only gripe with the GiZ is the boot time. Mine clocks in at close to a minute.

I boot mine one time. There is no reason to boot the Gizmondo every time. Mine is always on, every day and every night. :rolleyes:

Back