Whole Bunch Of Problems...

UnholyTancred

Still Fresh
Am I the only one who gets these things?:

1. Sound cuts off every now and then. I load a program and it has no sound. When I turn the GP2X off and on again, sound comes back. Why does this happen?

2. Sometimes exiting programs causes the GP2X to hang. I get this with DOOM 2 and sometimes with gngeo. Doesn't happen too often but it still happens.

3. Big problem with TV-out when it comes to everything except movies. The screen is completely out of place and too big. Surprisingly when playing movies they look great and are correctly centered. How do I resize the screen?

4. I was just watching an AVI file of 28 Days Later. About 20 minutes into the movie the audio became out of sync with the video by around a second or two.

Help on any of these will be greatly appreciated...

1. Sound shouldn't be a problem. Never heard of this before.
2. If you have a slow SD Card write speed, exiting some programs can take a long time. Doom takes a couple of minutes before it quits for me and some emus take ages to save a game state.

imhotep said:
1. Sound shouldn't be a problem. Never heard of this before.
2. If you have a slow SD Card write speed, exiting some programs can take a long time. Doom takes a couple of minutes before it quits for me and some emus take ages to save a game state.
Ultimate Doom exits out fine all the time. Doom 2 takes about 30 seconds to exit for me but sometimes it just hangs and minutes pass.

Also another thing I realized. This mostly occurs to me for Neo Geo roms I believe. Like the latter KOF and Metal Slug games, they play fullspeed for me but the first few seconds are of a stage or of a round are choppy. It smooths out within a few seconds.

All of these things are tolerable for me but I'm just wondering if it's with all the GP2X units, if it's my 4 gig Transcend SD card, or is it just my unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
TV out is poorly implemented in many applications. The movie player is an exception, it centers and scales the output.

Your video is probably not encoded very well, the movie player doesn't have much trouble keeping things in sync.

Blah said:
TV out is poorly implemented in many applications. The movie player is an exception, it centers and scales the output.

It's the driver that's poorly implemented because it only supports dvd modes and not the 320x240 game modes. Applications currently have to do a workaround to display correctly.

UnholyTancred said:
4. I was just watching an AVI file of 28 Days Later. About 20 minutes into the movie the audio became out of sync with the video by around a second or two.
Your file probably has a VBR audio stream (variable bit rate) you can reencode the audiostream in Virtualdub without changing the video. To do this set Video to direct stream copy and set the audio compression to a Costant bit rate.

Back