Why Does Everyone Hate The Gp2x Joystick?

-Backlight can't be shut off. Sure, 80% of the time, we need a backlight, but how about when you're out in the hot summer sun and you can't see the screen because of the glare? Having a way to adjust or turn off the backlight would have also been another great option to save battery life.

Well, as said before, it's possible by software to turn off the backlight.
However, doesn't make sense if you play in the sunlight, the picture would get worse.

That's a problem with backlighted devices, you can't see the LCD at all when in sunlight, this only works with frontlit LCDs.

The reason: Normal and frontlit LCDs have a reflective film at the back of the LCD, so that the light reflects and lits the screen.
Backlit LCDs don't have a reflective film, they have a non-reflective one (as normal light would disturb the picture otherwise) and a backlight which lights the screen.
When it's dark, you have a MUCH nicer picture.
But when it's bright, the sunlight is much stronger than the backlight and you barely can see anything.
When you turn the backlight off, the screen even gets darker, as the light won't be reflected to lit the screen.

So, the only possible solution would be a hardware LCD which changes the back layer to a reflective one once you turn off the backlight.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
-Backlight can't be shut off. Sure, 80% of the time, we need a backlight, but how about when you're out in the hot summer sun and you can't see the screen because of the glare? Having a way to adjust or turn off the backlight would have also been another great option to save battery life.

Well, as said before, it's possible by software to turn off the backlight.
However, doesn't make sense if you play in the sunlight, the picture would get worse.

That's a problem with backlighted devices, you can't see the LCD at all when in sunlight, this only works with frontlit LCDs.

The reason: Normal and frontlit LCDs have a reflective film at the back of the LCD, so that the light reflects and lits the screen.
Backlit LCDs don't have a reflective film, they have a non-reflective one (as normal light would disturb the picture otherwise) and a backlight which lights the screen.
When it's dark, you have a MUCH nicer picture.
But when it's bright, the sunlight is much stronger than the backlight and you barely can see anything.
When you turn the backlight off, the screen even gets darker, as the light won't be reflected to lit the screen.

So, the only possible solution would be a hardware LCD which changes the back layer to a reflective one once you turn off the backlight.

Didn't the GP32 Blu have a semi reflective film at the back?

But at least they partially fixed the stick on the mk2 version by rotating it 45 degrees. I sometimes consider selling my mk1 and getting a mk2....but I'd feel really sorry for the poor bastard who would end up with the awful stick on my mk1. I just have to be content with only playing puzzle games <_<

Would it be possible to manually rotate the stick 45 degrees to achieve this, or is that out of the question? I would love to have better left / right / up / down control on my MK1.

Back