Wi-fi

_VWV_

Website
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Can I ask the devs about wi-fi connectivity? Have you arranged what kind of chip you will be using (atheros, ralink?). Do we know the sensitivity of wi-fi antenna (2dbi gain? 4?). The reason I'm asking that is a good example of nokia's ITs where we have a very good wi-fi capabilities. Needless to say it's important for a handheld device to have a nice wi-fi with low energy consumption. :)
Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I looked around.. I am just wondering the same thing... I want to know what chip they plan on using for wifi....

The GP2X has the problem that the older USB drivers did not support thast many chip set (kernel 2.4 series) and the newer chip sets where when the whole USB networking subsystem was totally re-written so the drivers can not just be back compiled.

javaJake said:
How about you read the top of this board, where it says "Read first". :D
I've read the wiki and didn't find any answer to my question by the exception of a notion that a wi-fi chip is going to be present. I was just interested in some details. And next time, could you please PM me a link instead of laughing if the answer to my question is so evident to you. IMHO this could be much better than extending a needless discussion (if you really think so). Thanx in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was worth a try. ;)

We probably wont find out the chip used until it is released. Not a big deal. I remember MW indicating that the chip was very low power when on standby. I think it is in the mother of a thread above.

will there be a switch, either hardware or software, to disable wifi? because even if it doesn't use too much power, I'd like to disable it when I don't need it to get the most possible battery I can.

icurafu said:
I remember MW indicating that the chip was very low power when on standby.
This is really something, thanX! Then I'll suppose (dream) we can hope to get 4-5 hours of constantly online mode. And if there's a good sip program available.. :)

magicman5421 said:
will there be a switch, either hardware or software, to disable wifi? because even if it doesn't use too much power, I'd like to disable it when I don't need it to get the most possible battery I can.
IMHO this is an important notion, coz it would be nice to have a hardware switch to turn of the wi-fi in case you do need it. I haven't noticed it on renders does that mean it's not planed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back