Window Mobile 5 On Gp2x

fred131

Still Fresh
I am a newbie and is interested to buy one gp2x xgp if window mobile 5 can be installed on it.
Did anyone try to install microsoft os into it ? Does it work. ? :)

From my limited understanding of Windows Mobile 5, I do not believe it can be installed on the GP2x (XGP is a different product and not one I own).

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, promise :)

Edit, damn, just beaten to it ! :)

fred1 posted on Oct 19 2006 at 08:40 AM said:
I am a newbie and is interested to buy one gp2x xgp if window mobile 5 can be installed on it.
Did anyone try to install microsoft os into it ? Does it work. ? :)

If it supports the hardware theres nothing to stop you from installing windows mobile on the gp2x. As for the XGP it still vaporware so wont know till its out for sell.

But then why buy a gp2x just to install a differnt OS? You won't be able to access most of the software for it when you remove the underlining OS so you may as well by a PDA instead. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is remotely possible with lots of hacking one coudl use the MS Platform Builder to assemble a WinCE kernel for GP2x, but the real answer is..

.. buy a used PoPC machine for $100 and save the pain.

jeff

If am not mistaken, the minimum requirements forWM5 is 128 MB of RAM, which is something the GP2X doesn't have, I got this info when I tried getting WM5 for my PDA which runs Win 2003SE but the manufacturer support told me that it will be useless if they ever released it cause that was it's minimum requirements, although my PDA has 400 mhz CPU, but it has only 64 MB of RAM :(

WM5 does not need 128mb. It has been successfully installed (hacked) on the Audiovox SMT5600 (which I have). The way it works is it uses the SD card as RAM. You still wouldn't want to run it on a 2X though.

Back