Wiz Emulator Performance

pcp

Still Fresh
So I'm considering buying a Wiz to help ease the Pandora waiting time, but I'm very picky when it comes to emulation so I have to ask you guys a couple of questions (as most youtube vids doesn't really show how nicely a system emulates on the Wiz).

I'm mostly interested in C64, NES, SNES, Genesis and most importantly; classic Amiga (OCS/ECS). Now I know that the Amiga is a hard system to emulate, but I've read some Wiz reviews saying that it can emulate several games full-speed.

So, could someone here please give me a quick run-down of the above systems on the Wiz? :) How is the framerate, are there any tearing or jittering, how is the sound (choppy/distorted/pitchy sound issues etc.)?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate it a lot!

8 bit emulation is very good, Amiga is far from perfect. As you said, several games are playable. I didn't experiment too much with Amiga, but Supremacy worked perfectly. The only serious issue is the mouse emulation, it's totally messed up :(
if you want to know about specific games, write a post in the UAE topic here, on gp32x.de

Last edited by a moderator:
glezmen said:
8 bit emulation is very good, Amiga is far from perfect. As you said, several games are playable. I didn't experiment too much with Amiga, but Supremacy worked perfectly. The only serious issue is the mouse emulation, it's totally messed up :(
if you want to know about specific games, write a post in the UAE topic here, on gp32x.de

Thanks for the reply! I guess the reason why I'm so super-picky when it comes to emulation is because I've built a couple of arcade cabinets which are capable of emulating those systems to perfection ;) . What about SNES and Genesis? I remember Genesis was close to flawless on the GP2X, so I assume the Wiz isn't any worse?

Also, I was kinda hoping that UAE4ALL on Wiz used the touch screen to emulate mouse clicks. Would've been really awesome (Lemmings and Cannon Fodder would've kicked ass with it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Genesis emulation can be considered perfect (although Test Drive 2 is unplayable, the car sprites are invisible :( ), SNES is also excellent, but certain games are quite slow (Pilotwings, Star fox)

the touchscreen IS used for mouse emulation, but it's extremely inaccurate

UAE4All games I tried that worked or didn't. I know this is on the UAE4All wiki, but that seems GP2x specific.

-Pirates! - I played this the most and it worked great
-Defender of the Crown - Seemed flawless
-Dune - Some sound bending and slowing but it was almost 100%
-UFO Enemy Unknown - I can't get into the battle mode and rotating the globe was extremely slow
-Cannon Fodder - Worked great
-1st Monkey Island - Booted up and I was walking around in game without issue
-Ruff N Tumble - Looks and sounds perfect to me
-Giana Sisters - I didn't notice sound but this played just fine
-Turrican 2 - 1st level seemed perfect to me
-Lemmings - A little frantic without a true mouse but it worked just fine
-Syndicate - 1st time with this game, menus seemed sluggish,I was able to complete the first mission
-The Settlers - The menu buttons at the bottom were only 1/2 on the screen, otherwise this seemed to work fine
-Pinball Fantasies - Worked but its keyboard only which: 1) sucks and 2) virtual keyboard hides to bottom of the pinball table
-North & South - Worked perfectly, but to change units in battle you have to use virt keyboard to press SHIFT

I'd rate my experience with UAE4All to be pretty good maybe 6 or 7 out of 10. It'd be nice if someone out there was willing to try and improve on the interface giving it more of a point/click feel, enable savestates, and give support for WHDLoad and AGA. Since there's been recent movement on AmigaForever and C64Forever, (both of which have at least some open source) I'd think it'd be possible on the Wiz.

There is a helpful thread in the 'Emulation' board with a link to an article that has a more detailed compat list.
http://lostsite.altervista.org/wiz/?p=1054

As far as the other emulators you mention I have no real complaints that are worth bringing up. 97% of the games work near perfectly. You'll find some music glitches here and there and others have noted some anomalies, but for the most part everything you are worried about works fine. That being said it is a handheld and not a full computer in a cabinet so there are probably some compromises that have been made that you'll notice, but it shouldn't stop you from enjoying the games.

Sounds pretty good, at least for the price. I guess I'll be ordering one to play with until I can get my hands on the Pandora.

Thanks guys for the thorough replies! :)

Back