Wonderswan And Pc-98 Emulator?

huk1164

Still Fresh
I know there is source on the wonderswan emulator, but no idea about the PC-98. Is it possible for anyone to port these, or at least the Wonderswan?

huk1164 said:
I know there is source on the wonderswan emulator, but no idea about the PC-98. Is it possible for anyone to port these, or at least the Wonderswan?
Well for PC-98 it has always been an issue of source code. There isn't one from the GP2X port as far as I could find. Wonderswan I am not sure. It sure would be nice though

Last edited by a moderator:
There is source for a PC-98 emulator - Neko Project 2. It's a nice emulator - just not very compatible from what I have seen. I can't get much to run with it - which is a pity as the actual emulator is very nice otherwise.

slaanesh said:
There is source for a PC-98 emulator - Neko Project 2. It's a nice emulator - just not very compatible from what I have seen. I can't get much to run with it - which is a pity as the actual emulator is very nice otherwise.
Sorry, what I meant to say is that I haven't seen the source code for the GP2X port. I know that the source code is available for the original on Windows, and probably most of the other handhelds, phones and systems it's been ported to. Just would be easier to port if there was probably the GP2X source floating around. I have a blast with the PC-98 emulator on my GP2X. Everything I run on my PC in Neko Project 2 runs great on my GP2X, minus some 32-bit games. NP2 has never been great at running 32-bit games and apps. Anex86 is the only one that I have used that runs those well.

geise69 said:
Everything I run on my PC in Neko Project 2 runs great on my GP2X, minus some 32-bit games. NP2 has never been great at running 32-bit games and apps. Anex86 is the only one that I have used that runs those well.
Please feel free to let me know what runs well on NP2. I've got a source code port for the Dingoo A320 and it runs great - but I don't have any GAMES to run on it. Everything I've tried hasn't worked. Usually the emulated PC-98 boots, then gets to a DOS screen and then spits out some Kanji at me and doesn't go any further. The HDI images either don't auto-start or aren't compatible? Not sure. I've tried typing in some commands hoping to get some games running (just like in the old DOS days) but nothing much works.
I have got SOME crappy games running. Um, some poker game and another game - but all the 'interesting' shooters and arcade games haven't worked for me. :-(

slaanesh said:
geise69 said:
Everything I run on my PC in Neko Project 2 runs great on my GP2X, minus some 32-bit games. NP2 has never been great at running 32-bit games and apps. Anex86 is the only one that I have used that runs those well.
Please feel free to let me know what runs well on NP2. I've got a source code port for the Dingoo A320 and it runs great - but I don't have any GAMES to run on it. Everything I've tried hasn't worked. Usually the emulated PC-98 boots, then gets to a DOS screen and then spits out some Kanji at me and doesn't go any further. The HDI images either don't auto-start or aren't compatible? Not sure. I've tried typing in some commands hoping to get some games running (just like in the old DOS days) but nothing much works.
I have got SOME crappy games running. Um, some poker game and another game - but all the 'interesting' shooters and arcade games haven't worked for me. :-(
Yeah some games take a bit of knowledge to get working. A lot of FDI or FDD or whatever other floppy format disks need to be installed first. Also a lot of hdi files going around aren't made to boot. You need to mount the dos floppy disk utility to the floppy drive for quite a few games. Then hit b if you want to browse a floppy image or hit the C button if you want to browse a hard drive image. Both the DOS disk image and the other floppy or hard drive image need to also be mounted. Then find the autoexec.bat file or .exe file to run. Sometimes it just has to be done manually. This applies to basically any nec pc-98 emu.

Got it! The 2.5 Mhz and 5Mhz "error" message I was getting from some games was the clue.
The correct setting for some PC-98 games is to set GDC to 2.5Mhz. This is accessible only when booting by pressing the HELP key.

The procedure using Neko Project II is:

• HDD->SASI1 (select your game)
  • Emulate -> Reset with help key
  • Device->Keyboard->Keyboard (make sure you've got keyboard controls on)
  • In the Japanese BIOS screen, select the 2nd option on the left hand window. In the right hand window, the bottom option will have the letters GDC + some other Japanese characters. Select this option.
  • In the following screen set the last option (GDC) to 2.5Mhz.
  • Then select the last option - presumably 'exit', and then the last option again.

The emulated PC-98 should then boot normally and start up.

And your game should boot! (Or at least start with some other typed-in commands).

Well I've gotten 2 out of 2 games (previously not working) to boot using this method: Steam Hearts and Night Slave.

Looks like the GDC is some sort of graphics/screen option?

...I love you all, so very much. With this info, im sure that some magical programmer will port thise to the wiz. Now that I think about it...geise69, shouldn't the Wiz be able to emulate 32-bit games better due to more ram?

Oh man, I'd love if someone made a Wonderswan Color emulator for the wiz. Dicing Knights on it would be fuuun.

Back