Writing to NAND still

Hooka

That Guy!
Website
Visit site
Unless I`m mistaken and there is some kinda simple hack that only makes it look like these programs are writing to the home directory on NAND I`m fairly certain they are:

angband

freecol

megamario

moleinvasion

opensonic

edgar

pasang emas

quadrapassel

wormux

rafkill

xboard

In the grand scheme of things, probably not that bad as they don`t write too much, but still yucky...

There is a lot more of those who write to home, here is list of mine:

Freemind

gstreamer

Java

mplayer

mucommander

Pan Newsreader

sylpheed

Portabase

As they mostly store just some configs and not doing constant writting it should be ok.

But i.e. Pan Newsreader stored the article cache and other stuff into home folder at default. I had to change it manually from within the app. No biggie but good to be awared of it ;-)

I was ignoring Java, gstreamer and mplayer and haven`t used the other I guess...

Thanks for adding to this :) Maybe someone should mention on the repo about Pan newsreader (unless someone already did...)

All of my apps use ~/. to store their stuff - and due to the magic of the PND system, it all goes onto the SD card instead of NAND :)

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does MegaMario write to nand? It shouldn't do that...

Mole Invasion writing to NAND made me have to start over when I reflashed, and I had no idea what was going on at the time.

Gedit also writes its settings to NAND. Apparently it's difficult or impossible to prevent it.

Gedit also writes its settings to NAND. Apparently it's difficult or impossible to prevent it.
Probably it's just using g_get_home_dir() from GLib just like a lot of other programs, it shouldn't be too hard to switch over to using $HOME instead. Someone simply has to do it - sadly not everyone porting stuff has enough C knowledge to do it himself.

Knowledge really shouldn't be a limiting factor here, as you only have to replace it with getenv($HOME) iirc.

Knowledge really shouldn't be a limiting factor here, as you only have to replace it with getenv($HOME) iirc.
Which still has to be known by the porter ;)

I just noticed: At some point Debian patched its GLib to introduce a small change in the behaviour of g_get_home_dir():

However, to allow changing this value for testing and development purposes, the value of the G_HOME environment variable, if set, will override the passwd entry.

Do we have this patch in our GLib? It would make things much easier as setting G_HOME would kinda fix this single issue. It looks like it was introduced around 2.30, what is the current version included?

Back