Xiaomi showing others how it should be done..?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I'm in the market for a new TV & this looks particularly attractive.. most likely never be able to purchase one in the UK especially at a comparative price.

& I wasn't in a hurry to trade up my current tablet.. that was until I read about Xiaomi's MiPad 7.9

Xiaomi seem to be knocking it out of the park atm, particularly as far as price v perforformance is concerned.. I've never owned any of their devices & can't vouch for build quality, but thier handsets seem to get a general thumbs up too.

Wonder if either of these will ever be available in other territories (& at a relatively reasonable price)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my eye on that telly too, for that price I'll probably buy one to experience 4k.

Is 4k worth viewing on that size screen, I've heard about it only really being effective on really large screens, like 60" and over

I don't understand.  Why does China get to taste this good stuff first while the NVidia is an American company! Damn!

Looks like I was wrong, the K1 Mi Pad went on sale a couple of weeks ago and sold out 50,000 untis in the first day.  It's now back on sale as of some time ago.

It can be bought in china for $240 USD:  http://s1.mi.com/open/index.html.  Or if your in the west you can get it for that price via a buyer proxy or a chinese friend :)

If your in the west and willing to pay a little more via a reseller now, you can get it here for $313 using code:  c4etech 

(more resellers will come on board as time progresses and the reseller price will drop if you wanted to wait)

http://www.xiaomiworld.com/xiaomi-mipad.html?acc=1f0e3dad99908345f7439f8ffabdffc4

Be good to pair with one of these when they become available: http://www.bigben-interactive.co.uk/produit/produit/id/8236

https://www.youtube.com/embed/R3ZKhJZbO5o?feature=oembed

I have a friend in China, and I guess it is good I am saving up for my Al case and Pyra, because otherwise I wouldn't have any money.  They have such interesting things...some good, some not so much.  Luckily he is a tech guy, so if I were wasting my money he would help me pick out the good stuff.

Having said all that I still wouldn't mind the tablet...I really have no use for it, but I could come up with something.  I am sure I will want it even more if I watch the videos.  The TV looks cool too, and I like those legs, but best of all is 4K, which I also cannot make proper use of.  The remote resembles a Wiimote imo.

A few things came up after watching the videos.  The first two have nothing to do with the products depicted.  It seems that when turning on captions for Italian videos and translating them to English I get stranger results than usual, and they are somehow less useful than captions for videos with a lot of background noise.  The second is that they need to get rid of the glossy screens on devices you are supposed to poke with your fingers.

Having watched the 2 tablet videos, I am very interested still, but not as excited as I thought I would be.  If someone picks up a MiPad please make a video review showing other games.

That game grip tablet controller is pretty interesting, and I think I know someone who might be interested in something like that for other purposes.  it also might be good paired with a Pandora so we can play games while we play games

I've never heard from this trademark.

I wonder where they make the cuts.

- planed obsolecense: I guess not more than all the Korean/Japanese/US companies.

- wages: Of course, but I guess there will be more potential.

- quality: performance, display, software, scaling - And that's what I'm very curious about. It would help if someone tests this product, maybe it's not worse than the other big players. ;)

I'd say margin... I still cannot understand how they manage to sell some phone/tablet with a so high margin... it always surprise me

Samsung used to be the cheap manufacturer. But now it can afford to sell the brand as well as the product.

They make higher margins, but they also have more people working on their products. Some of them are in marketing and don't add anything to the product itself, but others will add new features or improve on existing ones. Sometimes, the features will be useless, sometimes they'll be worth the higher price. 

The higher margins/prices also let them use higher quality hardware in some cases. Sometimes, the difference between low grade and high grade hardware will be of $5. That might not seem like much, but when you've got a low margin, $5 can be a lot. 

Back