XOPAD.. An ugly iCP on kickstarter

I don't get your point. Sounds cool to me. More like the Original Gameboy Advance than the Gameboy Classic Design of the icp, but I always liked the handling. The possibility to not root the phone is great, too. ;) All in all a very potential concurrent.

"is the first open source USB game controller for android"

.... yeah, no.. Someone should tell them about the other 200 devices that beat them to it :p

jeff

I'd say this is a good reason for the P2 (yeah, sorry to bring that up) to steer away from simple android gaming.

These people saw control systems for iPhoids as being the new thing, and ended up producing a horrid 'me too' product massively inferior to the competition.

Meanwhile in iControlPadLand, we've got a keyboard and cool backlighting :)

Where are you supposed to put this thing when you're not gaming? I'm going to go out on a limb and jump to a conclusion here, but this thing wont even fit in Hulk's pockets.

.... yeah, no.. Someone should tell them about the other 200 devices that beat them to it :p

jeff
To be fair you did cut that sentence short.. I think they meant the first that has all of those features, which is audio, phone charging, and full analog joysticks. iCP2 for instance doesn't qualify for any of those (IMO nubs don't count) and most other devices on the market aren't open source.

They do go on to say first opensource USB gamepad - no idea on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff
To be fair you did cut that sentence short.. I think they meant the first that has all of those features, which is audio, phone charging, and full analog joysticks. iCP2 for instance doesn't qualify for any of those (IMO nubs don't count) and most other devices on the market aren't open source.

They do go on to say first opensource USB gamepad - no idea on that one.
The banner does say audio, etc, but the next para just says, I quote:

"XOPAD is the first open source USB game controller for android smartphones in the market"

Which is clearly false .. but the next sentence clarifies, so yes, I shouldn't cause too much commotion over that statement.

The earlier statement is probably true (audio is pretty oddball), but I mostly take issue with having seen about 15 of these sorts of devices in the last year, all of which say 'the first..' :) Typical marketing speak. (Which perhaps you have to do, but I always tried not to be full of shit when I was advertising my products and services.. but I'm not a marketing guy :)

For actual critique, to me it just looks way too unwieldy .. like holding a handlebar :) Putting it like a handle that the phone sits on strikes me as a better design and equally space inefficient in tote.

Still, as in all creative endeavers,  I wish them the best of luck; competition is good, theres lots of space for many.

jeff

Looks as though you would have to have your elbows sticking out to hold it usably, meaning that its no good on public transport and very tiring to hold.

The banner does say audio, etc, but the next para just says, I quote:

"XOPAD is the first open source USB game controller for android smartphones in the market"

Which is clearly false .. but the next sentence clarifies, so yes, I shouldn't cause too much commotion over that statement.

The earlier statement is probably true (audio is pretty oddball), but I mostly take issue with having seen about 15 of these sorts of devices in the last year, all of which say 'the first..' :) Typical marketing speak. (Which perhaps you have to do, but I always tried not to be full of shit when I was advertising my products and services.. but I'm not a marketing guy :)
I did mention that in my post. Where is this other open source phone gamepad that uses USB? The USB part seems like a minor difference but they do seem to be making a big selling point of it..

Yes, there have been a bunch of phone controllers over the last few years. Few of them have been open source, so that narrows things down a lot.

And somehow these all seem to get KS funding despite being practically the same product over and over again..

That Phonejoy one does look like the best I've seen too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn that thing is ugly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Back