Release Yet another Atari800 port

Sweet emulator, my only problem is I can't use the number keys to play games like Ultima to choose number of drives, etc.
Looks like it requires OS B to work properly. Go to 'Select System' then choose 'Atari OS/B (52 KB)'. Then '0' can be used to select drives etc.

Two more things though. I assume when you save a game it goes into the "saves" folder? Also, is there something in the configuration

that I have to do to get the emulator to play 5200 games (with "bin" extention)? I have already changed the emulator to 5200 in the setting.
If you save a state or make a screenshot then by default they are put into the saves folder. You can choose another directory though with 'choose dir'. If you mean save within a game then it gets saved to the disk image in drive 1 most likely. You can make a blank disk image from the 'disk management' menu.

To run 5200 carts go to 'Cartridge management' then 'Insert Cartridge' then select it then choose 'One chip 16KB 5200 Cartridge' or 'Two chip 16KB 5200 cartridge'. Using this automagically selects 5200 as the system. Use the nub for the analog stick.

Thanks alot again. I really appreciate it. Now to have some fun....

Two more things though. I assume when you save a game it goes into the "saves" folder? Also, is there something in the configuration

that I have to do to get the emulator to play 5200 games (with "bin" extention)? I have already changed the emulator to 5200 in the setting.
If you save a state or make a screenshot then by default they are put into the saves folder. You can choose another directory though with 'choose dir'. If you mean save within a game then it gets saved to the disk image in drive 1 most likely. You can make a blank disk image from the 'disk management' menu.

To run 5200 carts go to 'Cartridge management' then 'Insert Cartridge' then select it then choose 'One chip 16KB 5200 Cartridge' or 'Two chip 16KB 5200 cartridge'. Using this automagically selects 5200 as the system. Use the nub for the analog stick.

Ok, I tried what said about the 5200 cart and the emulator keeps crashing. I assume after you select the cartridge type, you do a warm reset of the emulator since you are taken back to the menu screen. Am I doing it wrong or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I tried what said about the 5200 cart and the emulator keeps crashing. I assume after you select the cartridge type, you do a warm reset of the emulator since you are taken back to the menu screen. Am I doing it wrong or what?
I've only tried Tempest and Asteroids. Can you try them? It should automatically reset after inserting the cartridge then just press 'L' to exit the menu. What are you trying?

I've only tried Tempest and Asteroids. Can you try them? It should automatically reset after inserting the cartridge then just press 'L' to exit the menu. What are you trying?

I have tried Asteroids with no luckj. Cart Mange - Insert Cart - (Pick Cart) - Pick Cart Type... I am then thrown back to the Menu screen where I then choose to warm reset the emulator and then it crashes. If I am doing something wrong please tell me.

I can never get this emulator to work properly for me either, and I'm on the current version. It'll load up a game and play it perfectly, but I can never find a way to get back to the main menu. Sometimes it doesn't even load the game, just goes straight to the Atari reset screen. I then can't kill the software and have to reset the Pandora, which then normally means I end up having to reinstall the firmware (beta5a), and resetting has borked it! Anyone else experienced anything similar?

I can never get this emulator to work properly for me either, and I'm on the current version. It'll load up a game and play it perfectly, but I can never find a way to get back to the main menu. Sometimes it doesn't even load the game, just goes straight to the Atari reset screen. I then can't kill the software and have to reset the Pandora, which then normally means I end up having to reinstall the firmware (beta5a), and resetting has borked it! Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Press the left trigger to get to the menu. This has the exit option.

That might be it then? I can bring up the menus, didn't think of navigating through them to try find an exit option from there! I'm more familiar with the older zx-81 Atari emulator, so I've not really messed around with this one too much! Is it much of an improvement over the older one?

I have tried Asteroids with no luckj. Cart Mange - Insert Cart - (Pick Cart) - Pick Cart Type... I am then thrown back to the Menu screen where I then choose to warm reset the emulator and then it crashes. If I am doing something wrong please tell me.
Realized the problem. Within the pnd I ship atari xformer - an old emulator. This is because there is a license to distribute the OS roms with it and it includes atari osb and atari xl os roms. I do not include an os for the 5200.

So to run 5200 games you need to get 5200.rom and put it in the os folder.

Its ok to press the left trigger to exit the menu since I think it does a reboot on inserting the cartidge anyway. Oh and Asteroids for 5200 is a one chip 5200 cart.

That might be it then? I can bring up the menus, didn't think of navigating through them to try find an exit option from there! I'm more familiar with the older zx-81 Atari emulator, so I've not really messed around with this one too much! Is it much of an improvement over the older one?

This is the native atari800 menu. It has a lot more flexibility than custom ones tend to. BTW you can get into it from zx81's front end I think.

Both this and zx81 and Streaks use the same emulator under the hood. Streaks version has the newest core - I think it sounds better. I like my version, but then I'm biased!

I always used the Atari menu in the zx-81 version anyway, as most of the funtionality of the emulator was accessed easier through there I found. Didn't realise there were several versions of this emulator (thought there was only the 2!), I'll have to check now when I get home which ones I have installled...

Realized the problem. Within the pnd I ship atari xformer - an old emulator. This is because there is a license to distribute the OS roms with it and it includes atari osb and atari xl os roms. I do not include an os for the 5200.

So to run 5200 games you need to get 5200.rom and put it in the os folder.

Its ok to press the left trigger to exit the menu since I think it does a reboot on inserting the cartidge anyway. Oh and Asteroids for 5200 is a one chip 5200 cart.

Ah, there you go. I will get the 5200 os pronto. Thanks.......

Gamer, check the second version of atari800 from repo. Maybe that version will work for U

One of them does work with the 5200 games. Only problem is that after the game loads I cannot do anything. Still, the games do load in.

One of them does work with the 5200 games. Only problem is that after the game loads I cannot do anything. Still, the games do load in.
When you've got the rom in place then, on my version, the controls are mapped to the nubs. The 5200 had an analog stick so thought that made most sense.

When you've got the rom in place then, on my version, the controls are mapped to the nubs. The 5200 had an analog stick so thought that made most sense.

Well I finally got it to work. I always had the OS for the 5200, it just had to be renamed from atari5200.os to 5200.os. Playing with the nubs is kind of different, but I am getting used to it. Thanks much for this emulator. Now I can really have some fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back