Yet Another New User ....

Awesome response, sataniC Virus. I enjoyed reading your point of view on the comparison. There is a thread here http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=35932&st=0 that is kind of the opposite of yours. It's a veteran GP2Xer that gives his first impressions of PSP homebrew/emu capabilities!

You can turn screen off with built in MP3 player by pressing select. All the 3rd party players have similar option (but with key combo's that don't press by mistake). My favourite is MP2X, but CraigAmp is maybe more popular (based on Winamp). There is a new one called ommpc2x which needs work, but is the first audio player to have a bookmarking feature. Oldplay is the most versatile player. Amazing range of file support including retro formats like SID (C64), AY (Spectrum, Amstrad), and lossless format support.

As for controls, the GP2X controls were worse with the original GP2X mk1 and First Editions, but have improved somewhat. IMHO, the only thing they are currently bad for is fast twitch gaming due to the large dead zone.

Trying to impress you with our native games will be difficult. Vectar is very good (try the demo if you haven't already). My favorite native game is Wind & Water: Puzzle Battles. Demo here http://www.yuan-works.com/WindAndWater/ Commercial version will come eventually!

Last edited by a moderator:
sataniC Virus said:
1) Mega Drive/ Genesis - I am using DrMD and think it is fantastic. High quality sound and seems to be full speed with savestates. I see that PicoDrive enables segaCD emulation. Can someone please tell me which Mega Drive emulator is better, and whether PicoDrive runs megaCd games fullspeed, and also if it runs master system and game gear games (scaled to full screen?)?

2) Amiga - I can get ok-ish performance from UAE4all by overclocking to 260....what is the general opinion now on having a full speed emulator with good quality sound?

3) SNES - there seems to be a few emulators for the SNES, and it is very confusing which one is the best. Some of the names even are similar! Is there a definitive answer as to which is the best one available at present?
DrMD is very good and it was the first great fullspeed MD emu out. PicoDrive was done later and was developed further so it ends up having a bit more features and speed. Picodrive has a nice scale mode for those few MD games that are narrow width. I would suggest the horizontal software scale mode as it looks best. The res is so close to 1:1 on most MD games that I wouldn't bother with the vertical scaling, it just makes it look kind of blocky/ugly.

Amiga probably could be fullspeed or close to it if some developer continued work on it. It is probably technically possible for fullspeed, just the work and time to get it there would be great. It may get there, it may not.

For SNES I like DrPocketSNES, it just seems a bit better for sound and raster support. It is a bit slower than SquidgeSNES but seems to woork a bit nicer when all SNES effects are enabled. May be good to have both.

For PC-Engine I would recommend GP2Xengine. It is a bit slow so you will need to overclock as high as you can go but is the most accurate. The HU one is good but very incomplete in the sound department. Many sounds are missing or garbled, and is not stereo.

sam fisher said:
Orkie said:
I have had better results with PicoDrive than DrMD too.
Picodrive is infact faster and it offloads audio emulation to the 940.

Yes, but some games (such as Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3) need "accurate timing" enabled to run coreectly , and this requires a speed of about 250mhz to run the games fullspeed. So in cases like that, DrMD is better.

It's just a case of trying the games out and seeing which is better for each really.

Alex. said:
Picodrive works great at 180Mhz, but I'm sure most games work well at 140.
I have mine set to perminant 166 and i've not noticed anything struggle to date. Though i guess it all does depend which games you play as some are alittle more intence than others :) Havent tried it any lower though so i might have to give it a go :)

Wow, that's a lot of very useful information.

I will be kept busy trying all of them out - but looking forward to it! Just tried the Vektar demo - hard as nails but great production values - nice one! :gp2x

Thanks to everyone for your great responses - all make very interesting reading.

Cheers.

peelie said:
of all the music players i have tried, so far i like GMU
+1 on that.

And for original games (or, well, at least "Non-emulated gaming"), don't forget Noiz2a!

Actually search Noiz2sa or you might not find it. Moxie missed the 's'.

This is technically a port, not homebrew from scratch, but it's been very well optimised. You'd never know.

I recommend it also. It's a very intense modern shooter. It's to Galaga what Geometry Wars is to Robotron I suppose you could say.

Another port to try is The Ur-Quan Masters. This was built from the source code of Star Control 2. It's a space exploration adventure with ship to ship combat. It's like a late 90's Elite in 2D with amazing music, art and gameplay. It was developed for the 3DO. The downloaded file contains everything you need as the unfinished(?) game was fully released to the open source community a few years ago.

just a thought, you could get the power adapter for the 2x then you dont need batterys at all,

also sonic cd on picodrive is very impressive, shame i dont have anytime to play it at the moment : (

Back