0 A.D. needs help. Anyone willing to contribute?

Askarus

Forum Addict!
Hello dear developers,

I am in contact with the 0ad (https://play0ad.com/) team at the moment as I'm working on a mod for that game.
They need help with basically anything at the moment.
Their "how to contribute" webpage is designed in a way that does not attract people but frightens them away (in my opinion).
So I offered them to ask here if someone is interested in game development and wants to help them.

They need coders (C++ and JS) as well as artists.

I'm in close contact with Stan and he's really a nice guy and very helpful.

If you are interested yourself or know someone who might want to contribute, fell free to post here or contact:
Discord: Stan`#1778
IRC: : quakenet.org #0ad-dev

Thanks for your time :)

Last edited:
What about it? Make is a common unix tool for building binaries, and getting the code from git seems easy enough. Granted, the page as a whole is rather long and unweildy and full of unclearly delineated nested sections, but once you're found the sections that apply to you it all feels like home, at least for the linux sections.

They are using svn for development. Git is just a mirror.

Each time I see people using svn I ask myself: why?
Git is so much better in my opinion.

Reactions: rSl
It's just the complexity of it all, could be reworked / simplified to use one source solution (git as mentioned) and clean up the whole build process to entice developers to program it (CI would work well with this too)

Hello @Askarus, I think I could help them out with art, how should I contact them?

Hey, great :)
Stan told me that art is important to implement "Level of detail". So making lower res textures and models might be a task for you.
If you don't like that, there are many other things to do (Fauna, Flora, Scaffolds, Buildings, Geology).

If you have Discord or IRC:
Discord: Stan`#1778
IRC: : quakenet.org #0ad-dev

If not, I'll ask Stan about what's the best way.
There is also a 0ad forum.

EDIT: Stan told me contributing art is easy as he himself does the review.
He really is a nice person :)

Last edited:
Hey there !
You can also get in touch with him on XMPP, MP me if you want his JID :)

Hello there,

First let me thank @Askarus for creating this topic, it is very nice of them.

We use SVN for the people with commit access, but it's not a requirement, as all the contributions are done on code.wildfiregames.com (Phabricator) using either arcanist or plain diffs. You can totally use git for your workflow. Arcanist makes it so it's agnostic of the versioning system because you can just use arcanist for everything (I know it's another tool to learn, but don't blame the messenger for choices :D he did not make)

reminds me i need to create a bash wrapper around the normal versioning commands you might expect (in git, svn, mercury)... just haven't had the need yet...

There is also git-svn if you'd rather use that :)

Yikes @ that compilation page... WHY!

Feel free to suggest improvements or to edit that page directly :)

It's just the complexity of it all, could be reworked / simplified to use one source solution (git as mentioned) and clean up the whole build process to entice developers to program it (CI would work well with this too)

We have a CI that builds patches on Mac, Linux, and Windows, also lints the patches. We didn't switch to git because of the binaries, and the size the repo would be if we were to continue self hosting it among other things, however we're still looking into improving things. Sadly the person that works on that is also the one we need to fix the other issues, and the one with the least time currently. I can give more information about it if people are interested. (Apparently can't post links :/)

Hello @Askarus, I think I could help them out with art, how should I contact them?

Let me know what you prefer, I'm fine with Discord, IRC, (even what'sapp if you must) the forums, here (although it will get messy) :) Usually art is done over the forums, to get feedback and whatnot but it's up to you. As to what you can do, it's up to what you want to do (as I finds the best art is usually done when not too constrained, and when happy to work on something)
There a bunch of things that can be done, 2D, 3D, Animations, Buildings, Scaffoldings, Flora, Fauna, Geology objects for maps, helping mods. If you need help let me know.

EDIT After Installing the dependencies on Linux, I use that script

Bash:
#!/bin/sh

cd "0ad"
svn up
jobs=`nproc`
jobs=`expr $jobs + 1`
SVN_REV=`svnversion -n`
echo L\"${SVN_REV}-dev\" > build/svn_revision/svn_revision.txt
echo "Updating workspaces with $jobs jobs..."
cd build/workspaces
sh update-workspaces.sh -j$jobs > ../../../build-libs.log
cd gcc
echo "Building pyrogenesis with $jobs jobs..."
make CXXFLAGS="-std=c++11 -march=native" -j$jobs  > ../../../../build.log
cd ../../../../

Best regards,
Stan

Last edited:
Ok, sent him a friend request on discord, that should boot it.
I´m at ericomont #1661 just in case. :)

edit:got ninja shurikens from stan himself! :D

@Stan` , did you get my discord request?
I´m fine with level of detail when it comes to 3d, also fine with 2d and animations. Everything digital visual art is more or less within my scope as I have been doing it since the 80s on the 8bit machines. :)
I think I need to check what exactly is needed as well as the project and what is already done should I have to follow a style.
Let´s chat on that discord.

We didn't switch to git because of the binaries, and the size the repo would be if we were to continue self hosting it among other things, however we're still looking into improving things.
Yep, that's the one big weakness of git - being a purely diff-based VCS, handling binary files is a PITA. Which is why git LFS was created, but it's still just an out-of-tree extension.

Hello there,

First let me thank @Askarus for creating this topic, it is very nice of them.

We use SVN for the people with commit access, but it's not a requirement, as all the contributions are done on code.wildfiregames.com (Phabricator) using either arcanist or plain diffs. You can totally use git for your workflow. Arcanist makes it so it's agnostic of the versioning system because you can just use arcanist for everything (I know it's another tool to learn, but don't blame the messenger for choices :D he did not make)

There is also git-svn if you'd rather use that :)

Feel free to suggest improvements or to edit that page directly :)

We have a CI that builds patches on Mac, Linux, and Windows, also lints the patches. We didn't switch to git because of the binaries, and the size the repo would be if we were to continue self hosting it among other things, however we're still looking into improving things. Sadly the person that works on that is also the one we need to fix the other issues, and the one with the least time currently. I can give more information about it if people are interested. (Apparently can't post links :/)

Let me know what you prefer, I'm fine with Discord, IRC, (even what'sapp if you must) the forums, here (although it will get messy) :) Usually art is done over the forums, to get feedback and whatnot but it's up to you. As to what you can do, it's up to what you want to do (as I finds the best art is usually done when not too constrained, and when happy to work on something)
There a bunch of things that can be done, 2D, 3D, Animations, Buildings, Scaffoldings, Flora, Fauna, Geology objects for maps, helping mods. If you need help let me know.

EDIT After Installing the dependencies on Linux, I use that script

Bash:
#!/bin/sh

cd "0ad"
svn up
jobs=`nproc`
jobs=`expr $jobs + 1`
SVN_REV=`svnversion -n`
echo L\"${SVN_REV}-dev\" > build/svn_revision/svn_revision.txt
echo "Updating workspaces with $jobs jobs..."
cd build/workspaces
sh update-workspaces.sh -j$jobs > ../../../build-libs.log
cd gcc
echo "Building pyrogenesis with $jobs jobs..."
make CXXFLAGS="-std=c++11 -march=native" -j$jobs  > ../../../../build.log
cd ../../../../

Best regards,
Stan
Thanks Stan for all your hard work!

It's been some years since I've checked it out, but I've gotta say, looking at the vid above, holy crap!, You'se have come a long way. Very impressive. I'll have to have another look.

My game-dev time is pretty well maxed out with 'X-Plane 11', but maybe I could try and find some time to help make minor contributions.

Back