1080P Possible?

mukiex

Still Fresh
Surely this sounds like "Can the Pandora emulate PS2?!", but how unlikely is it, really? The C64 can decode H.264 up to 720p, so between that, the remaining 70-85% of CPU (maybe a hint of over-clocking?), and a universal-shader-equipped GPU, does it even lie in the realm of possibility that an OMAP3 device like the Pandora could some day manage Blu-Ray decoding?

Yes, I'm entirely aware how ridiculously impractical such an endeavor is, especially given the 800x600 screen, so short of a user hacking in a VGA or HDMI out onto their device, they'd never see any quality improvement. Never mind the fact that there's no open source drivers for either the DSP or the GPU, so even if someone had a Gallium3D combination video decoding solution, or some way to split macroblocks/frames up and trade the info between the 3 processors (which I'm not even sure is possible), it's not even going to be in the realm of possibility for a loooong while.

However, just what are the chances that there's enough juice on this thing were such a magical mix of software present?

If someone was up to the task, maybe it would be possible by optimally using the three Pandora processors (DSP, Cortex and Video).

That doesn't mean it's really possible to achieve it, I could be completely wrong, since there's no way of being sure but trying, but I don't believe it's too far beyond the OMAP's capabilities, although it would require the usage of special highly optimized software.

Can't be done. If I recall correctly, the limiting factor is primarily bandwidth, which is just going to get even slower when you try to sync with several chips at high load.

H264 with all the option on (CABAC...) DVD res but not more, FFMPEG only USE the CPU (with NEON optimisations). There's some not free codecs that use the CPU & C64x to decode 720p H264.
XVID 720p with no prob?

Muki Key Oot said:
Never mind the fact that there's no open source drivers for either the DSP or the GPU
There's no open-source drivers for the DSP ?
Does that mean we have to use TI's driver or that we cannot use the DSP at all ?

Has someone already used it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nightwheel said:
Muki Key Oot said:
The C64 can decode H.264 up to 720p
Wait.... Am i missing something here? Are you saying the Commodore 64 can output 720p video? Because I highly doubt that it could.

I assume you're joking, but he means the C64 DSP in the Pandora's OMAP setup.

may88 said:
What about an external upscaler. Take what the Pandora produces and boosts it to 1080p?

Then you would have 480p, blurred up to 1080p.
The original was, "can the Pandora decode 1080p video?" and the answer was "almost certainly not".

There's no issue with scaling up to 1080p, but it will still 480p on the Pandora's side, so there's no point... It's the same as playing 480p on a 1080p television.

i think it may be possible, EvilDragon, MWeston and the others were talking about it in "the road to HD" thread, but i cant seem to find it now..
but here is the thread that talked about that thread going missing http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/48199-no-road-to-hd/

I know the pandora is supposed to be all things for all people but surely this would be such a redundant feature as to not even warrant the effort it would take for a tech demo? Even if you wanted to watch all your HD rips on the pandora's little screen you'd still only fit a tiny amount of movies on the highest capacity cards.

Of course, there's also the matter of outright RAM usage, and at 6.22 megs per frame, an 8-reference-frame film is going to actively take up 50 megs, eating quite heavily into the Pandora's usable memory. All that effort and for what? So that a few Beagle Board mini-boxes with HDMI outputs can play un-re-encoded vids? There's other products that do a better job, and in all honesty, it's a bit of a waste of the Pandora's impressive hardware.

Wait, did I just slam my own point?

Anyhoo, this is what happens when something pops into mind and I make the mistake of posting it rather than keeping it to myself. I think, at the moment, there's far more useful endeavors to hope for the release of, such as an OpenGL1/2 wrapper for OpenGL 2 ES. AFAIK, that NitroGL video was a Windows mobile thing. =(

- Edit note: So, bringing it back down to Earth, how well does the Pandora do on SD H.264 files in pure software mode? e.g. Could I concievably play a 1-4 megabit 640x480 mkv w/ minimal fuss?

Muki Key Oot said:
- Edit note: So, bringing it back down to Earth, how well does the Pandora do on SD H.264 files in pure software mode? e.g. Could I concievably play a 1-4 megabit 640x480 mkv w/ minimal fuss?

Why are you interested by software when the hardware accelerates the video decompression?

Limestraël said:
Muki Key Oot said:

Why are you interested by software when the hardware accelerates the video decompression?

Sorry, I didn't know we were there already. I haven't found much info, and the closest thing I could find was progress on the gstreamer-omap project, which wasn't too far. How much does ti-openmax 0.3 cover?

Back