180mhz Wearing Out Faster

Henrico

Still Fresh
I'm wondering to get the 180mhz version or 166mhz version. Is it actually worth the money? Also Ive heard that overclocking wears out your GP32. If this is true, would the GP32 wear out quicker or is it relative so GP32 overclocked to the max at 166 would use the same power as a 180 overclocked to the max? Does the 180 use more power than the 166?

I hope that makes sense :)

I would rather get 166mhz because most programs support 166, only a very few support 180mhz.

The batteries do die faster.

So not the ST one then.. I'd mainly play the ST and SNES ones with a side order of Doom

Henrico posted on Aug 26 2004 at 09:16 PM said:
So not the ST one then.. I'd mainly play the ST and SNES ones with a side order of Doom

You dont need to overclock on the ST emu, its so perfect already man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for the quick replies. Its really useful. Almost like having a really slow conversation :p

well 180mhz would make sens for snes.
its about what you want to pay.
a 180mhz uses nearly the same power as a 166mhz. (both voltmodded and at same clock)
but i dont sink that anyone will notice a diffrence

Im not sure if this was already clear to you, so here goes:

you know that if you got a 180 it wouldnt always run at 180, only when you actually tell it to. The rest of the time it would run at the same speed as any other GP32 so I would get the one with the most overclocking range, since it just gives you more options...

BLU 166 mhz model is £119.99
BLU 180 mhz model is £132.99

So theres only 14mhz between the 166 and the 180 as I understand it the mod they do is only a resistor that costs less than 50p but they are charging £13 for the extra 14mhz :| thats almost £1 per mhz

14 mhz extra you probably not notice the difference so I would say its not worth it

You would get more for your money if you got a 166mhz.

Your paying about $1.32 for each mhz if you purchase a 180mhz Gp32.

Your paying about $1.30 for each mhz if you purchase a 166mhz Gp32.

The difference from a 166mhz and 180mhz is about $23. The difference is 14mhz.

You would be paying almost $1.65 for each 1mhz when you compare the 2.

Exo posted on Aug 26 2004 at 09:48 PM said:
BLU 166 mhz model is £119.99
BLU 180 mhz model is £132.99

So theres only 14mhz between the 166 and the 180 as I understand it the mod they do is only a resistor that costs less than 50p but they are charging £13 for the extra 14mhz :| thats almost £1 per mhz

14 mhz extra you probably not notice the difference so I would say its not worth it

Omg, I took so long posting mines that you posted the exact same thing before me. :eek:

You're also paying for someone's labor to open the unit, carefully solder in the resistor, re-assemble the unit, and test it, then re-pack it.

TelcoLou posted on Aug 26 2004 at 09:59 PM said:
You're also paying for someone's labor to open the unit, carefully solder in the resistor, re-assemble the unit, and test it, then re-pack it.

Not realy because they would have to do that anyway to change the resistor for the 166mhz model I measured between 166 and 180 ;)

Omg, I took so long posting mines that you posted the exact same thing before me. ohmy.gif
:D I did wonder why you had posted the same thing

It is a known fact that overclocking a chip beyond it's specification will normally degrade the life of the unit, but the degrade amount is so minimal, I wouldn't worry about it. If your GP32's processor lasts 4.7 years instead of 5 years, do you care?

Anyone who still has a GP32 in 5 years time is one serious die hard retro fan !

Henrico posted on Aug 26 2004 at 10:02 PM said:
I'm wondering to get the 180mhz version or 166mhz version. Is it actually worth the money? Also Ive heard that overclocking wears out your GP32. If this is true, would the GP32 wear out quicker or is it relative so GP32 overclocked to the max at 166 would use the same power as a 180 overclocked to the max? Does the 180 use more power than the 166?

I hope that makes sense :)

Hi.

I thought most original GP32s went to 166Mhz anyway and didn't need modding and you were just unlucky if yours crashed a lot at that speed. Mine is an original GP32 and works fine at 166Mhz and it's not been modded.

no you can get guaranteed 166mhz gp32 but with the normal ones its just luck I have read that some Gp32 will not overclock higher than 133

I was lucky I just got a normal one but It overclocks higher than 166Mhz :D

What you seem to be forgetting is:

1. The GP is modded for 180 but it's still under warranty which it wouldn't be if you done it yourself and

2. 180 is the minimum speed the mod is able to achieve. Many go higher.

Simple fact is you pays your money and makes your choice.

BaDToaD posted on Aug 27 2004 at 07:33 AM said:
1. The GP is modded for 180 but it's still under warranty which it wouldn't be if you done it yourself and

An important point there.

Back