1gig unit crack.

I did not want to remove the velcro tape off but the area chipped is about 3/4>1/2 the size than the tape length and width.

Again it just began as a loose crack and the piece fell of in 2 bits and instead of repairing with clue I chose the tape.

Here is another picture of one of the pieces.

and the 'repair'

TAPE OFF... is 3rd picture..she looks a bit slutty yes?? :blink:   :p
That is indeed a strange place for a crack in the case - you must surely be the first person with that one.  Looking at my 1GHz unit, I can almost see how it could happen - just doing a bit of forensic tests and such.  The shape of your crack is almost an arc, and that piece is like a tooth coming down from the top part of the case - if one would put some pressure on it with a thumb or finger over time, or use enough force, it could "chip" it like I see it in the third picture there.

I've been very careful with mine, treated her like my own flesh and blood, and seeing as how I don't have any kids, that doesn't mean much, but I've had a bit of paint rub off - which I've repainted - and had to pad my battery so it stays on it's contacts.  It's all been a learning process, and labor of love.  This wacky little computer has SOUL.

I did not want to remove the velcro tape off but the area chipped is about 3/4>1/2 the size than the tape length and width.

Again it just began as a loose crack and the piece fell of in 2 bits and instead of repairing with clue I chose the tape.

and the 'repair'

That is indeed a strange place for a crack in the case - you must surely be the first person with that one.  Looking at my 1GHz unit, I can almost see how it could happen - just doing a bit of forensic tests and such.  The shape of your crack is almost an arc, and that piece is like a tooth coming down from the top part of the case - if one would put some pressure on it with a thumb or finger over time, or use enough force, it could "chip" it like I see it in the third picture there.

I've been very careful with mine, treated her like my own flesh and blood, and seeing as how I don't have any kids, that doesn't mean much, but I've had a bit of paint rub off - which I've repainted - and had to pad my battery so it stays on it's contacts.  It's all been a learning process, and labor of love.  This wacky little computer has SOUL.
Yes SOUL but not yet in Luos I suppose....;;; maybe somebody there will brake one as a ritual?? I treat mine with clean kid gloves too. I am not a poor historian. The unit has never been traumatized in any way other than my occasional verbal abuse  :blink:   :eek: ...I saw a crack, poked at it and like your tooth example it extracted in 2 pieces but no bifurcation at the root. :D  One of the pieces is embedded in my berber carpet. I didn't want to try any adhesive  because of the locale so close to the SD card slot.  I did not bother to search for it and I suppose I will step on the piece a few months from now while barefooted and have fond soul memories....;;;maybe not.

Leave it to me to find that strange crack :blink:

So now I have a italian mustachio Pandora styled by Velcro...... Yes I am delusional but it beats sadness.

It still functions fine and I still love the machine. I just was surprised this would happen again.

Last edited:

and the 'repair'

TAPE OFF... is 3rd picture..she looks a bit slutty yes?? :blink:   

and the 'repair'

Here it is.
Scroll back to page 1 for pictures for those interested.

Back