2 New videos of ThunderZ's 3d engine!

Azure

Trust the recursion...
Two movies have been made for ThunderZ's new 3d engine! They are both levels, one is made by fagemul and the other is made by Orion. They look pretty cool to me. When I saw the videos, they got me thinking. When I thought of the 3d engine I was just thinking of FPS, but after seeing the videos, don't you guys think we could have our own mario kary clone? It would be so awesomw. Anyways here are the links to the videos:
Fagemul's Level
Orion's Level

Azure posted on Oct 31 2003 at 08:59 AM said:
Two movies have been made for ThunderZ's new 3d engine! They are both levels, one is made by fagemul and the other is made by Orion. They look pretty cool to me. When I saw the videos, they got me thinking. When I thought of the 3d engine I was just thinking of FPS, but after seeing the videos, don't you guys think we could have our own mario kart clone? It would be so awesome. Anyways here are the links to the videos:
Fagemul's Level
Orion's Level
mario kart?

talk about copyright problems. remember tetris?

great idea tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
old news which has already been posted on the front page of this site and other news sites. However if this new engine can run like that on gp32 hardware thats amazing and with talented map makers it could push the gp32 farthe than it ever has before. I hopfully will get another gp32 some day and when I do I bet threre will will be some amazing games for it at thiws rate.

I don't see why we'd run into problems if we used a racing game style thing - mainly because MarioCart wasn't the first; if anything, THEY'D have as many problems as we would, unless they sought a license from the guy who made the very first semi-3D racing game ever first. Which I'd be a little surprised if they did - not least because I have my suspicions that there would have been pressure excerted from either Sega of Nintendo to stop the other making racing games - and both did so. Sega did Outrun, and Ninty did Mariocart (to name but a few).

I doubt we'd have to worry on that front, unless we explicitly referred to it as the Mario Cart Clone section (rather than just a cartooney racing game) or used ripped sprites en mass...

I have a question about the engine.

Is it REAL 3d (like quake) or just a 3d fake like doom?

(I looked the 2 vids. dont know if it's possible to watch under this small bridge? 'cause this would answer my question)

Evil_Cartman posted on Oct 30 2003 at 11:05 PM said:
Azure posted on Oct 31 2003 at 08:59 AM said:
Two movies have been made for ThunderZ's new 3d engine! They are both levels, one is made by fagemul and the other is made by Orion. They look pretty cool to me. When I saw the videos, they got me thinking. When I thought of the 3d engine I was just thinking of FPS, but after seeing the videos, don't you guys think we could have our own mario kart clone? It would be so awesome. Anyways here are the links to the videos:
Fagemul's Level
Orion's Level
mario kart?

talk about copyright problems. remember tetris?

great idea tho.
not mario kart exactly. There wouldn't copyright issues if we used different characters, different levels, different looking weapons, etc. It would a mario kart type game, thats what I mean to say.

count zero posted on Oct 31 2003 at 11:22 PM said:
Just read in the thread "Uptdate on 3d Engine" that it is a domm style engine.

Sorry for asking!
Actually, it is true 3d in the sense that it renders actual polygons, but due to the way the engine works, it cant do rooms over rooms.

RoboJoe32 posted on Oct 31 2003 at 07:18 PM said:
Links don't work for me.
hmm... They work for me. Try doing save target as...

Sorry for bringing back an old thread :p but i just got to see the movies cause my codecs were screwed up. Anyway, do you know what the fagemul video reminds me of? Zelda 64. I would kill for a zelda 64 clone, such a great game...

It's really easy to import and create levels and textures for this engine. If some coders hacked in sprite-based enemies and full weapon support, a generic FPS engine could be born, and then clones ahoy!

Back