2 Questions About The Internet Connection

HaCo said:
Maybe I'm missing the point, but if you have a 3G phone (I have a simple Nokia 3120) with bluetooth, you don't have an extra cable with modem and simcard to be attached to your pandora. My point is, I hope bluetooth drivers on the Pandora will allow tethering over bluetooth, so I can surf the net without attaching anything extra on the pandora. Wouldn't that be like 100x nicer? :)

My blackberry would not tether with my laptop over bluetooth, the connection is immediately lost after an initial connection establishment. I have read that this was done on purpose to prevent connection sharing. I have to use a cable to maintain a connection. The carrier I have is Sprint, so this may vary with others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had that problem with my Nokia: using my MSI Wind I can simply make a network (TCP/IP) connection with the Nokia and from then on I surf on GPRS/3G whatever available. Don't even need to know the modem settings on the pc, it uses the settings on the mobile.

OpenTheBox said:
I've looked at mobile broadband from AT&T, Sprint, & Verizon.
They all have the 5GB limit with charges for over-usage.
I'm surprise that you've been getting away with 65G per month. More power to you brother (or sister)! B)

5GB is just too small for any video streaming on a consistent basis. I will settle for a 10G limit.

Sprint has introduced the 4G network and they are selling that plan as true unlimited download (at least that is how I read it). The only problem is that it is currently only available in 3 or 4 markets, it won't get to my area until next year. I think I will sign-up that plan once it's available. It's not cheap though: $69/month. It's not a mifi plan, so you can't share the connection with another computer.

Brother ;) . Tbh, I'm quite surprised they've let it go for this long, too. (knock on wood...)

I totally agree, 5GB won't get you anywhere with the way Internet is today. Video, music, images... they're all so much larger than they used to be. My daily average is between 1-2GB... I'd go through that 5GB limit in just a few days! By AT&T's pricing for tethering and my 65GB usage (and if I'm doing my math correctly), my monthly bill would be in the $140+ range for 450 minutes and the amount of data I use. My head's spinning just thinking about it. :blink:

If Sprint brings 4G here, and it's fast and affordable, maybe I'll jump networks. I've been with AT&T for a while, so switching might be hard. But hey, that's competition for ya! :D

HaCo said:
Maybe I'm missing the point, but if you have a 3G phone (I have a simple Nokia 3120) with bluetooth, you don't have an extra cable with modem and simcard to be attached to your pandora. My point is, I hope bluetooth drivers on the Pandora will allow tethering over bluetooth, so I can surf the net without attaching anything extra on the pandora. Wouldn't that be like 100x nicer? :)

3G consumes a LOT of battery power. When I switched from EDGE to 3G I noticed a pretty substantial drop in battery life, and adding bluetooth to the mix only drains the battery faster. I tether my phone to my laptop but usually both are plugged in. When they're not, my phone will usually die before my laptop. :lol:

Tethering my phone to Pandora would be nice though. Maybe that could be like a short-use option. Tether only when I need 'net. I've read that it's possible to do through Ubuntu, so maybe on Pandora, too? link

Yep, I would only use it for quick connections, not for hours of surfing. The guide in ubuntu looks complicated :( Is it just a question of the Bluetooth driver to support it, or does the phone needs it's own driver as well?

HaCo said:
Yep, I would only use it for quick connections, not for hours of surfing. The guide in ubuntu looks complicated :( Is it just a question of the Bluetooth driver to support it, or does the phone needs it's own driver as well?

I've paired my blackberry with an Ubuntu computer before. Just had to edit one config file and do the pairing in the bluetooth manager and was up and running I no time. I didn't need any specific drivers as my dangle was recognized automatically.

Two more links re MiFi ; http://www.mobilx.hu/index.php?&sl=EN&target=products&product_id=9046&currency=eur & http://www.slashgear.com/huawei-e583x-mifi-rival-gets-video-demo-coming-july-1947446/

Why can't you use your phone as a 3G modem? Just put bluetooth on and keep the phone in your pocket.

And here in Finland 384/384kb unlimited data costs 10 euros/month and 5Mb is 35 euros/month other speedlimits cost between those.

It's not that you can't, it's that it drains the phone battery faster and is another thing you have to remember when you need the 'net. As I mentioned, my phone drains way faster when 3G is on, and even faster when it's constantly connected.

It's kind of like why some people have iPhones, but prefer a separate PMP so they don't drain their phone batteries.

michaeljustman said:
I've paired my blackberry with an Ubuntu computer before. Just had to edit one config file and do the pairing in the bluetooth manager and was up and running I no time. I didn't need any specific drivers as my dangle was recognized automatically.
Howdy neighbor, I notice you are from Texas. I'm around the Houston area. B)
Which carrier do you use with your blackberry?

-Tj- said:
It's not that you can't, it's that it drains the phone battery faster and is another thing you have to remember when you need the 'net. As I mentioned, my phone drains way faster when 3G is on, and even faster when it's constantly connected.

It's kind of like why some people have iPhones, but prefer a separate PMP so they don't drain their phone batteries.
On top of that, you can't use your phone while tethering. Well, you can... but not at the same time and you will lose your connection.
Several times when I receive a call while I tether with my blackberry, it doesn't just kill my connection, it also freeze my blackberry if I didn't do a normal disconnect from my laptop before I remove the usb cable.

I'm looking forward to tethering my phone to it either. The only thing is I'd probably need 3 full cellphone accus to keep going as long as the Pandora will, my N95 sucks power like no tomorrow when I'm online. And I just dug out an older pic which shows bluetooth working:

pan_Bluetooth2.jpg

OpenTheBox said:
On top of that, you can't use your phone while tethering. Well, you can... but not at the same time and you will lose your connection.
Several times when I receive a call while I tether with my blackberry, it doesn't just kill my connection, it also freeze my blackberry if I didn't do a normal disconnect from my laptop before I remove the usb cable.
Wow, that's not good. My WinMo phone is capable of making calls and keeping the 3G connection going. I'm often tethered when I get called. Time to get a WinMo phone! :D

OpenTheBox said:
michaeljustman said:
Howdy neighbor, I notice you are from Texas. I'm around the Houston area. B)
Which carrier do you use with your blackberry?

I use Verizon... which is pretty good. The Data plan is decently affordable... $30 for unlimited data on your phone and $30 more for pairing and 5GB. Unfortunately the 3G coverage in the Fort Hood area is spotty, so my data is usually 1XEV, but it's usually pretty fast.

The best thing about pairing on Verizon is that you can add the data plan for pairing whenever you want (after it connects, it takes you to the page to add the service to your account, if you don't have it) and then you can cancel it at any time, so they will prorate the $30 extra if you only need to use it for a week while traveling, etc.

kuru said:
I'm looking forward to tethering my phone to it either. The only thing is I'd probably need 3 full cellphone accus to keep going as long as the Pandora will, my N95 sucks power like no tomorrow when I'm online. And I just dug out an older pic which shows bluetooth working:

pan_Bluetooth2.jpg

Awesome, so will it be quite possible to tether a 3G enabled phone over Bluetooth and let the Pandora use it's connection?

I understand it can be done on regular desktop Linux with some configuration (depending on phone and carrier etc.)

Thanks

Exophase said:
Will it work on Pandora? I doubt it, since it doesn't list Linux as a supported OS, and even then wouldn't have drivers available for Pandora.

Many of these devices simply use the standard USB serial driver and PPP. My modem is plug-and-play on Linux. Provided there is PPP (and optimally a dialer application) it should work fine.

I live in Portugal, we too have 5.0Mbps 3G with unlimited traffic for about 35€ but if you the little letters saying "fair use policy" they actually mention 60GB/month :p

Squidge: Tmobile has unlimited data for $25/month with a voice contract and $40 without. For $60 they have the one with a 5GB cap for use with their simless 3g card, but the card below will make it possible to use the $40 smartphone total internet package with AWS 3g.

Their usage agreement:
To provide the best network experience for all of our customers we may temporarily reduce data throughput for a small fraction of customers who use a disproportionate amount of bandwidth. Your data session, plan, or service may be suspended, terminated, or restricted for significant roaming or if you use your service in a way that interferes with our network or ability to provide quality service to other users. Some devices require specific data plans; if you do not have the right plan for your device, you may not be able to use data services. Additional charges may apply. Domestic use only.

I know I used about 15GB last month, so I'm not in the realm of hard core users, but still well beyond the cap on their conventional 3g internet plan.

Check out the Option iCon 452. It can be used on any GSM 3g network, including Tmobile's AWS. It has a sim card slot, unlike the Huawei 181 AWS capable modem. It has support for HSPA+, which Tmobile will have nationwide next year. It's also a USB 2.0 high speed device, unlike the Huawei 220, so no hub is needed, and it won't drop all connected devices to full speed should you choose to use one. It seems like it should work out of the box with linux, but I don't have one, so I can't confirm. There are; however, FreeBSD drivers which might work.

If this can be made to work, a short usb cable, a couple of pieces of velcro tape, and a google voice port would let me replace my phone and n810 with a pandora.
Now if I can figure out how to install the n810's transflective display in the pandora, I'll be set.

Back