256MB Smartmedia Card???

vespa66

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is any 256MB cards out there i dont know much about solid state memory but i know u can get 256MB CompactFlash Cards so why is there no 256MB smartmedia cards???

Thanxs

GP32 uses 3.3 volts. If there was a 256 card, it would probably use 5.5 volts.

I hear that GP may release a special 256 card, but i doubt it...!

Nce to see someones GP32 is working...! :D

A company (was it.... Toshiba???) said it was impossible to make a 256mb 3.3V SMC
Maybe the Gp64 will have 5.5V compatibility.... wishful thinking ;D

cazssiew posted on May 19 2003 said:
A company (was it.... Toshiba???) said it was impossible to make a 256mb 3.3V SMC
Maybe the Gp64 will have 5.5V compatibility.... wishful thinking ;D
Or hopefully Compact flash card compatibility :) , As they currently go up to 1GB, Plenty of space for Games, Movies and mp3`s. :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Even 1 gig would fill up fast with the amount of good stuff that keeps getting released ;) But a gig would be excellent to start with, then we'd want 2 gig, then 3 gig etc etc. I guess that's just human nature.

I hope that Compact flash is used, as the Smart Media cards are slowly being phased out (apparently) Olympus have ceased production of their Smart Media card based cameras in favour of Compact Flash

Hope the GP64 also has a true USB port with power too, maybe we could then easily add keyboards and the like. That's if the GP64 ever gets released, hope so, Gamepark deserve to do well if only for their innovation, if not for their QA standards and customer support policies (what policies) ;)

MrT

Meonlyeviler posted on May 19 2003 said:
A company (was it.... Toshiba???)

It was samsung
right, and they're striking some kind of SMC deal with Nintendo, right? They made that player that you put on the GBA (does it fit on the SP??) and it worked with 5V cards if I remember correctly... so it could just be propaganda....
It isn't only propaganda that SMCs aren't really used at ALL anymore though :/
Compactflash's would be really sweet!. BTW, didn't sony announce that their media stick things should go up to 1 gig by the beginning of 2004? I think I read it in the NYtimes... of some other magazine, but I DID read it >.>;;;

Well, I can't imagine anything bad will happen if you put it in...
The GP32 provides 3.3 V, the card needs 5 V, so the worst case that can happen is that the card simply won't work.

But I don't know anyone who's got a 256MB card, and I don't want to buy one just to try it out in my GP32...
If it won't work (and I'm 99% certain it won't) it would be wasted money.

deathterrapin posted on May 20 2003 said:
It probably wouldn't even fit in the slot, 5v SMCs are a different shape (the cut-off corner is on the opposite side)
Now lets cut the corner off this side and stick it here.... oops, I broke the SMC card :( The point is "could you mod the GP32 to use 5/5.5V cards?"

Nope, don't think so.
I guess hardware developers have a reason while they create different shaped sizes and use 5V...
which makes it incompatible to a lot of cameras.

Back