2xhexen2: Hammer Of Thyrion

Adventus

GP Mania
GP2X Port based upon the Hammer of Thyrion linux port of Hexen 2. Allows you to play hexen 2 demo and full games, should also support the "Portal of Praevus" expansion pack.

Public Beta 2 Downloads:

Binary: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,20,2476
Binary Mirror: http://host-a.net/Adventus/2xHexen2%20v0.05%20PB2.zip
Source: http://host-a.net/Adventus/2xHexen2%20v0.05%20PB2%20Src.zip

Features:
- As far as i can tell, the singleplayer is fully playable.
- I've implemented some optimisations from PocketQuake as well as some of my own. Still requires some overclocking though.
- Redesigned GP2X input system.
- Supports Background midi music (if you have timidity installed). SFX are not supported, they conflict with SDL_mixer....

Changes: PB1 -> PB2
- I've added support for portals of praevus (actually this was working before you just could play the demoness character or play the intro.). I had to do a nasty hack to get this working, but it seems stable.
- You can now play the demoness character in the original missions.
- Model Caching. Improves loading speed (after initial level load anyway).
- Improved the general rendering speed.
- Improved the transparency rendering speed.
- Other minor things i can't remember.

At 275mhz, Ram timings ON, no music and Portals of Praevus installed i get 13 - 18 fps. It definitely feels 100% fullspeed with these settings.

PC shot, but with same settings as GP2X:
hexen2pd9.gif

PS: Thanks sbock!

Public Beta 1 Downloads:

Binary Download Mirror: http://host-a.net/Adventus/2xHexen2%20v0.04%20PB1.zip
Source Download: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,2477
Source Download Mirror: http://host-a.net/Adventus/2xHexen2%20v0.04%20PB1%20Src.zip

Not MMUHACK and Profilling? That will increase performance a lot :)

Thank you very much ;)

Not MMUHACK and Profilling? That will increase performance a lot
I have compiler profiled it, i got about 0.5 peak fps increase but the slower bits are much more smooth. I was under the impression that the MMUhack was only useful for games which heavily access the upper 32mb.... at some stage i did actually have it included with the hope of increasing backbuffer read/writes but it didn't seem to make much difference.... i may try it again.

Did anyone get midi working?
Make sure the timidity.cfg is in the same directory as the .gpe.... Hexen 2 thinks its one of its config files and automatically moves it to the "data1" folder.... hah probably should fix that. XD.

too slow to be playable for me.. but that's an awesome release! very very good for the first one.
If you set the quality settings lower (set d_mipmap = 3, d_mipcap = 3 and fov = 60) in the data1/autoexec.cfg you can make it a bit faster.

Ok, it seems i'm doing something wrong, but i don't know what.

I unpacked the file to a folder named 'Hexen 2'. I copied the 'data1' folder from my Hexen 2 cd and i made a link from gmenu to the .gpu file. All i get is a blank screen and then it returns to the menu.

Help?

Pez-o-mania said:

I unpacked the file to a folder named 'Hexen 2'. I copied the 'data1' folder from my Hexen 2 cd and i made a link from gmenu to the .gpu file. All i get is a blank screen and then it returns to the menu.

Help?

same for me now, i played it, deleted a bunch of stuff on others emulators and now it not work anymore...

edit: copying data1 on the sd root it hangs up on a black screen with a cursor on the center, copying data1 on hexen2 folder make it returning to the menu. i copied data1 from the hexen 2 cd, do i need to install the game?

Last edited by a moderator:

Help?

edit: copying data1 on the sd root it hangs up on a black screen with a cursor on the center, copying data1 on hexen2 folder make it returning to the menu. i copied data1 from the hexen 2 cd, do i need to install the game?
Are you running the .gpu in those instances? Linux/Gmenu might be using up too much RAM, you can modify the hexen 2 ram usage with the .gpu command line parameter "-heapsize X" the minimum is 16 372 kilobytes.... i may have left it set to ~22mb.

Another possibility is that you've got the old retail version, you need v1.11 data files. You can get these from the original version by installing hexen 2 on PC then downloading and applying the patch (ph2v111) from www.raven-games.com.

Yeah, that worked for me too. Thanks for the info.

I was actually surprised how well it ran on default speed (200 mhz) and when i overclocked to 270 mhz, it went almost as smoothly as in a PC. Great Job!

finally i got everything to work like i wanted, with first person view with the weapon ect, but the game crashes almost every 5 minutes also at 200mhz

finally i got everything to work like i wanted, with first person view with the weapon ect, but the game crashes almost every 5 minutes also at 200mhz
I think you've got some nasty luck. I cannot reproduce this error.... at 240mhz with the FPS view and gun model being drawn i created the mithril potion before i ran out of batteries. What exact settings are you using? Are you trying to change the bpp or enable sound FX by any chance? Do you have portals of praevus installed? Is anyone else having this problem?

The fact that it only does this after a kind of time interval suggests this mught be a RAM problem. If you want to, you can add "-condebug" and "-devlog" to the .gpu, it should output a log ("debug_h2.log") which might help.

How can i see the gun model in screen o_O?

I have timidity well installed, like you said in readme and is working for me in other ports like PrBoom, but not in this port, no sound for me at all.I have tried everything like change CD,midi, even no sound in menu :D I have put sound to max.

Is it possible that timidity.cfg and instruments folder must be outside any folder? The problem in that case is that gpe and gpu and data1 foder must be outside any folder too.

I have it all inside 2xHexen2_v0.04_PB1 folder.I have copied autoexec.cfg in data 1 folder too.

What´s wrong o_O?

Thank you :)

Open the autoexec.cfg file in the data1 folder and change the entry for "r_drawviewmodel" to "1". You can find a whole document describing these settings here: http://console.planetquake.gamespy.com/commands/hexen_2.html

I have timidity well installed, like you said in readme and is working for me in other ports like PrBoom, but not in this port, no sound for me at all.I have tried everything like change CD,midi, even no sound in menu I have put sound to max.
You may be suffering from the funny bug i discovered just after this release.... hexen 2 will grab the timidity.cfg and move it to the data1 folder thinking its one of its own config files. This should only happen once, so just move it back to the "2xHexen2_v0.04_PB1" folder and it should work.

Tell me if it works for you. There is no music in the menus, only ingame.

PS: Sound effects are disabled.

Wooow, I'm very glad to see Hexen 2 finally ported on the GP2X! it's such a great games ;) You did a great job!

I played for ~15mn @270mhz before I had to go, and it runs without much problems... except maybe speed and sound

One question, do you think it is possible to 'backport' some improvements of this engine, to the old 2xQuake?

Adventus said:
Open the autoexec.cfg file in the data1 folder and change the entry for "r_drawviewmodel" to "1". You can find a whole document describing these settings here: http://console.planetquake.gamespy.com/commands/hexen_2.html

I have timidity well installed, like you said in readme and is working for me in other ports like PrBoom, but not in this port, no sound for me at all.I have tried everything like change CD,midi, even no sound in menu I have put sound to max.
You may be suffering from the funny bug i discovered just after this release.... hexen 2 will grab the timidity.cfg and move it to the data1 folder thinking its one of its own config files. This should only happen once, so just move it back to the "2xHexen2_v0.04_PB1" folder and it should work.

Tell me if it works for you. There is no music in the menus, only ingame.

PS: Sound effects are disabled.

Thank you for the answers, now music and gun model can be listen/seen :)

With 270 of OC i can play very well, almost like in Quake2X (Quake1) Almost the same speed i think :)

It is possible you can redefine look up and down with a combo buttons like X+A for UP and X+B for down look? Or something like this ;) I have tried to redefine myself it in options but that is like hell :D

I have found that mouse sprite remains in the screen forever once you go out hexen 2 :D I have been playing PCEngine (Temper) with mouse in the screen :D

Thank you for the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
One question, do you think it is possible to 'backport' some improvements of this engine, to the old 2xQuake?
The question is whether i backport my optimisations as you say or i port a complete Fixed Point conversion which was developed for s60 phones. The backporting would be much easier, but ill never reach the speed of a full FPM conversion.

It is possible you can redefine look up and down with a combo buttons like X+A for UP and X+B for down look? Or something like this I have tried to redefine myself it in options but that is like hell
Yea i've been considering that. I think i will make vol+/- look up/down and start/select change weapon/item.... both vol+/- pressed together would open the menu and pressing select & start would toggle run.

I have found that mouse sprite remains in the screen forever once you go out hexen 2 I have been playing PCEngine (Temper) with mouse in the screen
yea that was just wierd bug i've ignored till now, it'll be fixed in beta 2.

Wow, just plain wow. I haven't played Hexen II since it first came out! I threw the files on the SD, created the link in Gmenu2x, OC'ed to 260 and off I went. It plays easily as well on the GP2X as it did on the PC I originally bought the game for. Job well done!

Thank you very much for the answers Adventus, i really am enjoying this port, it is running very well with high OC :)

Thank you :)

Back