3.0 Firmware Pre Loaded

Metalstar

Still Fresh
Hi all

My GP2X will be arriving later this week, It comes with the 3.0 firmware pre loaded (www.gp2x.co.uk)

I have read in a few posts that its best to stick with 2.1 (or similar) Is it worth me switching back to the older firmware as soon as i get it? or should i just use 3.0?

Just use 3.0, and place gmenu on your card. GMenu has an autoscan feature (hit select, then bottom option). Gmenu has best interface!

We have 6 Gameparks at the place where I work, and all of us have switched.

mth411 posted on Mar 7 2007 at 01:39 AM said:
Just use 3.0, and place gmenu on your card. GMenu has an autoscan feature (hit select, then bottom option). Gmenu has best interface!

We have 6 Gameparks at the place where I work, and all of us have switched.

I'm the owner of a value pack gp2x as well. I decided 'fk it' one day, was bored, and downgraded to 2.1.1 or whatever.

Best decision I ever made. The boot time is much faster, or at least it feels alot faster, and I prefer the 2.1.1 boot screen.

^^b to each their own though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Auritribe posted on Mar 6 2007 at 08:46 PM said:
I'm the owner of a value pack gp2x as well. I decided 'fk it' one day, was bored, and downgraded to 2.1.1 or whatever.

Best decision I ever made. The boot time is much faster, or at least it feels alot faster, and I prefer the 2.1.1 boot screen.

^^b to each their own though.

Same here - I booted down to 2.0 and enjoy it much, much, much more. I'll go for 2.1.0 next to fix some video issues.

The 2.0 menu isn't nearly as pretty, but there are some great skins that are (IMHO) much better than the FW 3.0 version.

Enjoy!

Agree with everyones comment from above. Downgrade it to 2.0.0, then up to 2.1.0 and finally to 2.1.1 you will not regret it. The 3.0.0 firmware is so damn slow compared to the 2.1.1 firmware.

Ok thanks guys.

I'll download all the updates (Downdates?) now. It should be here by tomorrow! Got myself a pack of 2500mah batteries today to be safe.

I'll probably post here to say how it goes.

:EDIT: to downgrade do i just follow the same procedure as upgrading?

Metalstar posted on Mar 7 2007 at 08:59 PM said:
:EDIT: to downgrade do i just follow the same procedure as upgrading?
Yep. What i did with mine though before i began to downgrade was format the NAND just to make sure the junk pre-installed was gone, even though it would appear the firmware upgrade/downgrade does this anyways i just didnt want it to run into any problems.

Just make sure you go in sequence though, 2.0.0 -> 2.1.0 -> 2.1.1 and you'll be fine.

Also, try out Gmenu2X when you get your '2X ... you'll love it :)

Thanks guys.

You are right, 2.1.1 does load alot faster than 3.0.

Just wish my batteries were lasting longer than 5mins!

Metalstar posted on Mar 8 2007 at 03:25 PM said:
Thanks guys.

You are right, 2.1.1 does load alot faster than 3.0.

Just wish my batteries were lasting longer than 5mins!

Metalstar - are you using rechargable NiMH batteries? I get a few hours' commuting time out of mine, then it's only 15 minutes to recharge them.

Project37 posted on Mar 9 2007 at 02:40 PM said:
Metalstar - are you using rechargable NiMH batteries? I get a few hours' commuting time out of mine, then it's only 15 minutes to recharge them.

yeah but they are brand new so need to run a few "cycles" first. I have the Energizer 2500mah NiMH's.

Got a power adapter now anyway :)

Back