3"5 Screen On A Wiz

R

RedBaron

Has any body put a GP2X F200 3"5 screen on a Wiz, I am asking this question because the GP2X F300 uses a Wiz board in it and it has a 3"5 touch screen

GP2X F200 and Vocamaster F300 use an LCD screen. Wiz's display is going into an OLED controller, so unless it also supports LCD w/o hardware mods and the interface is fully exposed on the cable port then you can't just replace it. Even if it did it'd still just support 240x320. The Pollux does have a display controller which supports LCD, but it's being brought out to a TV-out chip. To gain access to it you'd have to do board surgery that's probably not practical. Even then, Wiz software wouldn't know to use it, unless they support TV out and I don't think anything does. Besides, how are you going to fit a 3.5" screen in the same case anyway?

I doubt the Vocamaster F300 has exactly the same board as the one in the Wiz, it's probably a variation.

Exophase said:
GP2X F200 and Vocamaster F300 use an LCD screen. Wiz's display is going into an OLED controller, so unless it also supports LCD w/o hardware mods and the interface is fully exposed on the cable port then you can't just replace it. Even if it did it'd still just support 240x320. The Pollux does have a display controller which supports LCD, but it's being brought out to a TV-out chip. To gain access to it you'd have to do board surgery that's probably not practical. Even then, Wiz software wouldn't know to use it, unless they support TV out and I don't think anything does. Besides, how are you going to fit a 3.5" screen in the same case anyway?

I doubt the Vocamaster F300 has exactly the same board as the one in the Wiz, it's probably a variation.
The controller for the LCD screen is the same, its the LCD screen that makes the difference

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's try this again.

Wiz's controller is for 240x320 OLED screens. That's because it has a 240x320 OLED screen.

GP2X F200 has a 320x240 LCD screen. If you try to hook it up to Wiz's OLED controller it won't work. The physical interface might not even be the same number of wires. If you somehow manage to connect them then you could end up damaging the screen, the controller, or both.

Wiz's SoC has support for 320x240 LCD's internally, but you can't use it for that because it's already wired to the TV-out chip.

Is any of this getting through to you?

Exophase said:
Let's try this again.

Wiz's controller is for 240x320 OLED screens. That's because it has a 240x320 OLED screen.

GP2X F200 has a 320x240 LCD screen. If you try to hook it up to Wiz's OLED controller it won't work. The physical interface might not even be the same number of wires. If you somehow manage to connect them then you could end up damaging the screen, the controller, or both.

Wiz's SoC has support for 320x240 LCD's internally, but you can't use it for that because it's already wired to the TV-out chip.

Is any of this getting through to you?
Yes you are right, the interface is completely different, DAM
So the board in a F300 is totly different to the wiz

Last edited by a moderator:
Be nice Exo, ;)

Short answer; while just about anything is "possible" with electronics, its a chore to get that working and not worth it.

The Wiz screen is one of its nicest features but it doesnt come without a few hitches. If I didnt already own a GP2X I'd probably buy a Wiz even though there have been some horror stories about pixel plague and the tearing issue persists (though reduced).

Back