32X Progress

OK, impressions from the new beta. The compatibility is much better now. Now there are some more really playable games:

-Chaotix
-Pitfall
-Kolibri
-Doom
-Stellar Assault
-Virtua Racing
-Virtua Fighter

Chaotix is fullspeed playable with deactivated PWM sound with the Wiz at 533MHz and GP2x at 250MHz (small slowdowns, sometimes choppy sound). Great!
Here some quick videos:

Video 1 (Chaotix)
Video 2 (Stellar Assault)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chaotix go very fast on Wiz.......but for Stellar Assault ...Wiz@800Mhz ??

Absolutely a very good work..

slaanesh said:
This looks very nice. Stellar Assault looks very interesting. Any chance of a Star Wars video? :)

Unfortunately it's broken in this new beta...

Wow, that looks great. Is there still any more scope for further optimisation or is it running 32X games about as fast as possible now?

Do you have any screenshots (or videos) of Master System games running under PicoDrive?

sbock said:
slaanesh said:
This looks very nice. Stellar Assault looks very interesting. Any chance of a Star Wars video? :)

Unfortunately it's broken in this new beta...

Any news on the Master System emulation part? Will it also do GameGear? Since both were extremely close to eachother...

sbock said:
Sega Master System support is another new feature. I only tested Choplifter (US) which run great at 150 MHz, 44KHz sound and anti tearing fullspeed with sound.
Super-unexpected but awesome.

tlsa said:
Wow, that looks great. Is there still any more scope for further optimisation or is it running 32X games about as fast as possible now?
There is a bit, but not a huge amount.

Amon_Re said:
Any news on the Master System emulation part? Will it also do GameGear? Since both were extremely close to eachother...
Master System is only partially implemented, and no Game Gear handling yet. Not sure if to even include MS/GG support for next release at all, is this something people would want?

notaz said:
Master System is only partially implemented, and no Game Gear handling yet. Not sure if to even include MS/GG support for next release at all, is this something people would want?

Are we talking about Master System and/or Game Gear support within PicoDrive? I think that would be amazing. I do not like how AlexKidd2x handles and most people agree that PicoDrive is amongst the best emulators on Wiz, so I personally would very much like to see this. I think others would appreciate it too.

tlsa said:

Do you have any screenshots (or videos) of Master System games running under PicoDrive?

Sure, here is Choplifter:

Link.

Note: I'm not intimately with SMS emulation and the original system, but the game runs very stable at 150 MHz with good graphics, gameplay and sound. 44KHz sound, 16bit renderer with scaling and Vsync and tearing fix enabled. I only tested a few other SMS games but never found any showstopper. I personally like the implementation in the current state..

And here's Virtua Fighter @800MHz:

Link.

Exophase said:
150MHz on a Wiz? notaz is making the rest of us look bad.
Only the GP32's version of DrSMS can come close. It's generally full speed, no frameskip at 90Mhz.
And still very playable at 66Mhz though with some frameskip.

Also, Flubba does amazing things at 17Mhz with his GBA but it's got lots of hardware support of course.

notaz said:
tlsa said:
OK. It's already looking very impressive, judging from the videos. :)

notaz said:
I think Master System support would be very very nice to have in PicoDrive, but if it requires a lot more work maybe it doesn't make sense to delay the first release of 32X emulation for it. Either way, from the work-in-progress stuff that has been posted, it looks like there is a huge amount to look forward to in future PicoDrive releases! I'm really impressed. :)

glezmen said:
wow, looks very promising
is the current version available for download?
I believe the version under discussion (with 32X support and some Master System support) is currently being beta tested privately. The currently available release is version 1.56.

slaanesh said:
Exophase said:
150MHz on a Wiz? notaz is making the rest of us look bad.
Only the GP32's version of DrSMS can come close. It's generally full speed, no frameskip at 90Mhz.
And still very playable at 66Mhz though with some frameskip.

Also, Flubba does amazing things at 17Mhz with his GBA but it's got lots of hardware support of course.
Well you can't go too low with Wiz because when you underclock CPU you underclock the AHB bus too, which runs at 1/4 speed, so at 200MHz you get 50Mhz bus, which is slower than GP32 speed you listed.

What I do here is cheating a little by messing with bus multipliers while underclocking :)

glezmen said:
wow, looks very promising
is the current version available for download?
Depends on what you call current, the one being demoed is already superseded, it's in active development.

notaz said:
tlsa said:

Amon_Re said:

I know i want it :p The existing Master System emulator has it's problems on Wiz

Well done notaz, you rock!! :) I really like this emulator too. I need to test a few Megadrive roms that uses Master System mode (Phantasy Star MD and Dodgeball King comes to mind)

Back