3DS Emulator and 3D screen for Pandora's Successor?

This is because (a better) Drastic was also released for Android :)   But yeah, agree with you though  :D
I meant during the 6 months while it was only out on Pandora. For about 2 of those months it had the faster 3D emulation.

All my friends first hated the 3D on the 3DS just like Klumpen.  They didn't even want to spend one minute to experience it.  I kept on convincing and convincing and finally one of them fell in love with it.  Then two.  Then three.  Then all of them now can't get enough of the 3D.  I too don't like the 3D effects in theater, butthe 3D in 3DS is different.  Please give a long try before you say you hate it on the 3DS.   Yes you may have to keep the 3DS at the right angle at but that quickly becomes second nature.  I always open the screen all the way up (180deg) and it helps a lot in terms of getting the angle right.  I rather play the 3DS in 3D than wearing that massive Oculus RIft thing on my head for long hours.  How's that more comfortable than holding the 3DS at the right angle?

1. I hate it (also in cinemas)
Have you actually tried the 3DS?   blablabla
I have got one, so: Yes, I have tried it.Could be nice with a much higher resolution (reminds me of Dos times like it is now), IF you accept the fact that you are not allowed to move your head or the device a bit while playing.
I do agree that a better resolution would be nice. But I don't think that hurts the 3D effect at all. Just makes annoying jaggies. :\ Do you have a 3DS or a 3DS XL? Also, I don't find myself losing focus that easily. I can move my head a little bit, just can't move the handheld around a ton.

-God Ginrai

All my friends first hated the 3D on the 3DS just like Klumpen.  They didn't even want to spend one minute to experience it.  I kept on convincing and convincing and finally one of them fell in love with it.  Then two.  Then three.  Then all of them now can't get enough of the 3D.  I too don't like the 3D effects in theater, butthe 3D in 3DS is different.  Please give a long try before you say you hate it on the 3DS.   Yes you may have to keep the 3DS at the right angle at but that quickly becomes second nature.  I always open the screen all the way up (180deg) and it helps a lot in terms of getting the angle right.  I rather play the 3DS in 3D than wearing that massive Oculus RIft thing on my head for long hours.  How's that more comfortable than holding the 3DS at the right angle?
I already tried it for an hour. I did not get a headache and it worked.

Is it that hard to accept, that simply not everyone likes it?

It's just another gimmick to distract from modern gameplay issues

and it IS a distraction, because it takes concentration you could use for the game itself otherwise.

It's more distracting than impressing in the long run for me.

PS: Edit:

I've got a 3DSXL and know, that the pixelation is way worse there. -.-

I simply did not know, that the resolution is too low for screens this size,

but the bigger touch screen has its advantages and the old NDS-games look good on it,

if you deactivate the eco-mode which washes out the colors a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just another gimmick to distract from modern gameplay issues

and it IS a distraction, because it takes concentration you could use for the game itself otherwise.

It's more distracting than impressing in the long run for me.
You are entitled to your own opinion. However, I will point out that those are the same arguments that people made about polygons back in the day. Hell, maybe you'll be like I was with HD and you just need to find the right game that shows you its benefits. For me, I didn't care for HD until I saw Utawarerumono in 1080p. When I got to the end of the first episode and saw the bristling fur of the white tiger, that's when I started to appreciate HD. (Later on, the fire effects and rain impressed me even more)

PS: Edit:

I've got a 3DSXL and know, that the pixelation is way worse there. -.-

I simply did not know, that the resolution is too low for screens this size
I had a feeling based on the comment you had made. Yea, I have never supported the "XL" devices. While I like the size of the screen, the fact that the resolution is the same is a total dealbreaker for me.

-God Ginrai

Personally I'm pretty indifferent to the 3d on my 3ds.  I usually turn it on for cut scenes, but most of the time I find that while holding the 3ds still isn't hard, it doesn't add enough to the gameplay to make even that small effort worthwhile, and besides, turning it off helps extend the already meagre battery life on the stock 3ds.

The fact is it could be used to create gameplay experiences, but in practice since some people can't see flat-focus 3d, or it's painful for other people, it can't be used except as eye candy.

it doesn't add enough to the gameplay to make even that small effort worthwhile
Third parties are still in the "learning" stage. Once they get past that, I'm sure you'll see some innovative gameplay uses of the 3D. The new Phoenix Wright game may do this when you are searching the rooms for evidence. We'll have to wait and see.

-God Ginrai

I mainly play Nintendo titles on my 3ds.  Like I said, they can't make the gameplay depend on the 3d effect, else they'll be limiting their market and getting terrible reviews from anyone who can't see flat-focus 3d.

I did find the 3d effect somewhat useful during the flying sections of Kid Icarus, as the binocular cues gave me extra information about the depth of enemies rather than just relying on the monocular relative size cue to estimate distance (and therefore inverse priority in shooting them down in that section), but after a bit of practice I found I'm as good at that section purely relying on the monocular cue.  On the ground section, occlusion with scenery and elevation cues generally gave my brain enough information that 3d never had a particular advantage over 2d there.

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I never had any problem with the 3D. I never lost it while riding on the bus, looking away and then back it always came right back to focus, I never had any of the "sweet spot" troubles that everyone else jokes about having to weld brackets to their head to maintain. It always just worked.

It took me couple months to get into 3D and stop feeling dizzy.  So 1hr or 2hr I don't think you can make an argument that 3D sucks and keeps hurting your brains :)

Problem of 3DS: Screen is too small.

Problem of 3DSLX: Resolution is horrible.

Do you want to know why I'd like to have a 3DS emulator?

Because I like the Nintendo games but hate to carry Pandora and 3DS with me. That's annoying.

I want one device for everything and that's why I strongly wish to get a 3DS emulator for a Pandora successor.

Also it might be strong enough to scale it up like PPSSPP does. That would solve the problem with the low resolution.

Considering nintendo went 2DS after the 3DS i think eventually they found it used too much power. A 120Hz screen would be nice, but a dedicated solution i have little faith in.

Wouldn't we need a screen that had double the horizontal resolution (vertical lines) to give 1280x720 per eye, so a resolution of 2560x720.

Wouldn't we need a screen that had double the horizontal resolution (vertical lines) to give 1280x720 per eye, so a resolution of 2560x720.
This is the main problem of having a screen like that of the 3DS for P2 / a general computing device.

Another point worthy of consideration is the fact there is no such thing as a 3DS emulator yet, therefore required specs for 3DS emulation would not be known.

/me ponders that the 3D graphics processor was one of the hardest parts of Drastic to make usable.

...and that a 3D display would require twice as much rendering power.

Optimising the 3d routines in DraStic took longer true, but I couldn't say how much that's due to complexity, and how much due to the apparent fact that the 2d routines are very similar to those in the GBA, and Exophase had already coded and optimised gpSP.

But yeah, a 3D display requires two framebuffers and almost twice the rendering time of a 3D display. That's why some games drop the framerate on 3DS when you turn on 3D.

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I never had any problem with the 3D. I never lost it while riding on the bus, looking away and then back it always came right back to focus, I never had any of the "sweet spot" troubles that everyone else jokes about having to weld brackets to their head to maintain. It always just worked.
I don't really have the "sweet spot" problem too often. I don't need a head brace for my device. :p

Problem of 3DS: Screen is too small.
That screen is bigger than the screens of both the DS and the GBA. Stop whining.

Considering nintendo went 2DS after the 3DS i think eventually they found it used too much power. A 120Hz screen would be nice, but a dedicated solution i have little faith in.
They went 2DS because they realized that they were losing a lot of potential sales due to the warning they put on the 3DS to avoid legal issues. (Not recommended for children below the age of 7) So they came out with the 2DS to get sales from the parents of those children, and also to appeal to the people who wanted a cheaper device.

-God Ginrai

No, they probably introduced the 2DS because that autostereoscopic screen still is too expensive, and Nintendo wanted to lower the base price. Besides, it was a pretty lousy screen anyways (low resolution, low viewing angles). Far fewer people would have issues with it if that screen were actually any good...

I don't think we're going to see a lot of other devices sporting an autostereoscopic screen for the same reasons, but stereoscopy-with-glasses is perfectly obtainable: (all?) oleds can be driven at insane refresh-rates, making them a great option for shutterglasses, and LCD-screens just need one additional film to use them with polarized glasses. Both options are practically free, without negative consequences for 2D-mode.

No, they probably introduced the 2DS because that autostereoscopic screen still is too expensive, and Nintendo wanted to lower the base price.
Please read the whole post before telling someone they are wrong. That way you don't lose face when someone points out that they had already mentioned what you were talking about:

So they came out with the 2DS to get sales from the parents of those children, and also to appeal to the people who wanted a cheaper device.
 Also:

Both options are practically free, without negative consequences for 2D-mode.
Yea, but there is the negative consequence of looking like a total dork wearing those glasses. Also, I've never found polarized glasses, or the 3D effect they produce, to be comfortable.

-God Ginrai

Back