3G Modem again (sorry)

Nation.A.List

I have searched and researched this but cannot find the solution so maybe a Pandora guru can help me.

I have a Huawei E156G 3G usb modem stick that just wont make a connection on my Pandora (original refurb version running latest hotfix)

On my Pandora lsusb reports;

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220 HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem

On my Ubuntu desktop lsusb reports;

Bus 002 Device 006: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220 HSDPA Modem / E230/E270/E870 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem

(amongst other Buses and devices)

So very similar but not identical.

On my Ubuntu desktop I can connect and browse etc over the 3G connection so I know the modem works but on my Pandora the connection shows as available but will not connect.

Any suggestions welcome, please to help make my Pandora into a fully mobile device.

Despite thinking that the solutions offered in the link might possibly be outdated (i thought this was now all built in) I gave them a try.

"sudo opkg install usb-modeswitch-data" gave me an Cannot install error, as I got an error, as suggested I tried

"sudo rm /etc/usb_modeswitch.conf" but got a No such file error

It appears usbmodeswitch is not installed on the Pandora and not in the repo which was my hunch, so maybe some other setting needs changing.

I'm off now to try amending "/etc/ppp/peers/umts" except the umts folder does not exist so I'll have to create it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I did:

I created a file

sudo touch /etc/opkg/feeds.angstrom-distribution.org-feed.confand filled it with

Code:
src/gz angstrom-unstable-armv7a http://feeds.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/base
src/gz angstrom-unstable-all http://feeds.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/all
then ran

Code:
sudo opkg update
sudo opkg install usbmodeswitch
sudo opkg install usb-modeswitch-data
or you can just download the files manually from the angstrom repo as suggested by wizardstan in the other thread and install the ipk files using sudo opkg install <downloaded.ipk>
usb_modeswitch then worked for my stick as suggested in that thread over at gp32x.de

Now nm-applet tries to connect but just says "disconnected" after a while, trying to figure that out now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back