3g/umts Connectivity

nibel

Well I know it won't be added to the MK1 final model and I am not asking for it.
But since the Pandora comes with USB-host it should be fairly easy to connect available USB-UMTS-Sticks like the ones from HUAWEI to the Pandora. Also the drivers are included in the recent 2.6 Linux Kernel and here comes my first question: Are all drivers that you can find in the 2.6. tree available on ARM platforms or more important on the Pandora later?

The next thing that came to my mind was to dismantle the Stick and to build it into the housing of the Pandora if there is enough space left somewhere so is the actually enough space in it for such a mod?

There are some threads that discuss cell modem compatibility here and here, and a thread about tethering the Pandora to your cell phone over bluetooth for the same result here.

As for fitting a 3G modem inside the case, that's a no-go. The device was efficiently designed, and there isn't much in the way of wasted (useful for modding) space. I've been batting around the idea of making a replacement lid piece with a bulge in it to accommodate an EVDO modem, but frankly the $60 per month that one of those would cost just isn't worth the neat-o factor of built-in wireless. If you want to give it a go, that's probably the best way to go about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance for expansion into the battery bay? It would be interesting if there was a shorter battery. Also depending on the size it could be possible to remove the speakers for a small bit of space.

The best way may in fact be to just tether over BT through a phone. That way your phone can be in your pocket or backpack and you don't have something extra to directly hold on to.

Hmm it would be a good idea to have some kind of expansion slot with an usb port and blank expansion hulls so you could build your own mods.

nibel said:
Hmm it would be a good idea to have some kind of expansion slot with an usb port and blank expansion hulls so you could build your own mods.
From a modder's standpoint, I can see how this would be attractive. But think about the intent of the Pandora.

On a device that is designed to be portable, perhaps even pocketable, this would increase the size on the chance you need to have always-connected USB peripherals. To some extent, the point of BT integration is to avoid this situation. Combine that with WiFi and dual SD slots, and the ability to plug in an external USB device for quickee connect situations, and you should be pretty well covered.

jam

This should help: Dial-Up Internet Instructions

As I've posted several times, I use this on a daily basis, and the instructions above have given me the best results. My dial-up on verizon wireless is almost as fast as my cable modem connection at home. And, it's up all day (10 hours).

Also, the $60/mo charge is acceptable for me, because I use it all day at work for internet. It's worth not needing to use the corporate internet, and also for running around the city and not needing to pay for a wifi connection.

emil10001 said:
Also, the $60/mo charge is acceptable for me, because I use it all day at work for internet. It's worth not needing to use the corporate internet, and also for running around the city and not needing to pay for a wifi connection.
I didn't mean to imply that those plans in and of themselves were not worthwhile. It's just that I already have unlimited EVDO internet on my phone (which I can tether over BT) and a USB EVDO modem from my job (which I can use, but not hack up and install into a Pandora), so I can't personally justify the expense. For someone who does not already have a wireless broadband plan (or two), this is still a perfectly viable option.

Bluetooth tethering would likely put less strain on the battery as well, so I'm thinking of going that route rather than using my modem.

Back