Umts/hspa Sticks

Usoppe

Still Fresh
Hi folks,

has anyone tested UMTS/HSPA sticks on prototypes of the Pandora, yet?
Ive talked a bit with EvilDragon about that:
- The stick must recognize itself as a modem
- There shouldnt be the need of usbmodeswitch - because it needs to be ported.
- USB 2.0 stick, otherwise you will need a hub

Lets say, its working now. For my job its very important that I have a low latency to a server in the web. How does the linux driver for the stick influences that point? I mean, its probably not optimized for the hardware and is a bit slow in reacting etc, parhaps ?? Iam not familiar in that kind of topics, so asking..

Thanks for response. Keep on people, youre great ;)

Cya around,
Ali Ayhan

Alerino said:
well, that might help you

Dongles tested OK

Thanks, my fault: Ive overseen that theres a wiki page ;)

Is there anybody whove tested other sticks, too? For example the Huawei E176 (7.2Mbit/s downstream in HSDPA). Or even the Nokia CS-15 or products with similiar downstream rates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Port usb_modeswitch? It is trivial to compile it for ARM, and there are no problems linking it statically to libusb in case Pandora has no libusb by default.

yeah, better ask for the linux-compatible umts-stick that drains the least power :)
I just used mine to light a cigar.

aq21 said:
Port usb_modeswitch? It is trivial to compile it for ARM, and there are no problems linking it statically to libusb in case Pandora has no libusb by default.

Very interesting, I will try it out when I have the Pandora. It would be great if usb_modeswitch is working so the variety of umts sticks which can be used is much bigger.

conso said:
yeah, better ask for the linux-compatible umts-stick that drains the least power :)
I just used mine to light a cigar.

Yes youre right ;) But the Pandora has a big akku pack and I think that when we compare a low power umts stick and a akku sucking usb stick with each other there is probably just 30min more or less run power for the Pandora. The difference shouldnt be so big. Or Iam I wrong? So I have no experience in this, iam just guessing around ^^

I think you could easily take a few hours off your battery life running one of these (if you ran it full time of course). Not so bad when you've got 10 or 12 hours up your sleeve, but still significant.

Taking off hours? Make that halving battery life or even worse, once power-management is properly working. Seems like those sticks can consume more than 2W. A 2W-load will empty our battery in 8h...

If you're concerned about the driver being slow, try using your device in Windows Vista. If it works well enough there, there's nothing the driver devs can do short of inserting sleep(10) at random places in the code to make it slow enough for you to notice.

I ordered Nokia e61 just for Pandora, I've heard it has mad battery life for 3g phone, so it should last atleast that 10 hours of tethering <: Instead of draining the power using 3g stick.

Usually 3g phones last only 1-2 hours with mad internet usage :/

zhasha said:
If you're concerned about the driver being slow, try using your device in Windows Vista. If it works well enough there, there's nothing the driver devs can do short of inserting sleep(10) at random places in the code to make it slow enough for you to notice.

Its not me who will notice it. I want to do some measuring.

Usoppe said:
Its not me who will notice it. I want to do some measuring.
Linux drivers included in Linus' tree and out of staging are always in VERY good shape. Linus being a complete dick about it has payed off in the long run. He expects infallible drivers basically.
If you can be arsed to look at some kernel sources, you'd see that most drivers are small and simple.
If I were you, I'd just assume right off the bat that if the device works with Fedora by simply plugging it in, it will work well period.

EDIT: For giggles, try playing LAN games from Atari that have official linux ports, but with Windows computers for your friends and a dedicated linux server. Last I did this, Windows really showed how efficient its network stack is by having everyones latency be twice mine. Although going from 40 to 20ms isn't that big of a difference, it was quite funny.

Thx for you comment zhasha. Just wanna ask your ideas about my sorrow, folks. But good to hear that youre positive.

Back