5" 1080p screens becoming a reality just in time for P2?

You don't loose much space left and right of the screen

But you lose space from the bottom of the bottom of the screen - which is the most important dimension.

It would be simple to disassemble, but complicated and expensive to develop

Of course it all depends onto the overall measurements of the Pandora 2. No clue how big or small it will be. But comparing the space around the Pandora 1 LCD, there is also alot of space free on top and bottom of the Screen. And from modern screens we know that they can have very small encasing frames around the actual LCD.

However, I just suggest some ideas, not more. ^^

Modular screens would be nice, but I'd prefer modules for extra types of radio and what-have-you

We should have the biggest vertical screen dimension possible if the P2 is going to be more than an entertainment device

It's a nice dream. won't happen.

Quit over engineering everything ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
On the flip side of this...

I recently got a Galaxy Note II. The 5.5" 1280x720 screen on that is pretty darn amazing. It's dimensions are a bit wider and about 1/3 as thick as my Pandora. Quad core, 2GB RAM, 16GB onboard NAND, 64GB microSDXC (arriving today), 802.11n @2.4&5Ghz, bluetooth, HDMI output through the micro USB/MHL port, etc...

Thinking of what all is crammed into that package - the Pandora 2 should be able to have similar specs, more battery, dual SD slots, keyboard and gaming controls and fit within that footprint at twice the overall thickness - i.e. <=20mm.

The biggest things that would prompt me to purchase a Pandora II would be the things that phones don't have. Full Linux OS, full sized SD slots, USB 3.0, keyboard, gaming controls.

Of course I'm in on the Kickstarter and the ICP2 will cover those last two. So, really - it's the bits that make it a computer instead of a phone/device that make the Pandora special in my gadget collection.

Still, back on this topic. After using a 1280x720 screen for a while - and turning the fonts just as small as they can go on Android - that resolution if very good at that size. So I think the team is on-track if they use a 1280x720 resolution or greater for the Pandora 2.

I recently got a Galaxy Note II.

How is the stylus on it? Have you found anything that requires any bit of precision? Would be interesting to know that a good stylus can be done on capacitive as proof-of-concept for the P2 (assuming multitouch resistive isn't an option).

I recently got a Galaxy Note II.

How is the stylus on it? Have you found anything that requires any bit of precision? Would be interesting to know that a good stylus can be done on capacitive as proof-of-concept for the P2 (assuming multitouch resistive isn't an option).

The stylus on it is exceptionally accurate. It's actually an active stylus - there are electronics inside the stylus. Hovering over the screen moves the 'mouse' to the icon and activated apps will pop up an explanation for whatever button you're hovering over. The stylus has a button on it that can do alternate actions based on the button press. I'm still learning all of the functionality, but as far as accuracy goes - it's way better than any other device I've used a stylus on. That includes a half dozen Palm devices, a Tapwave Zodiac and yes, even the Pandora.

There are several things working together for that accuracy. The active stylus, the Wacom digitizer, the capacitive screen - they're all well integrated.

The handwriting recognition is pretty awesome as well - I can even write in cursive script on the screen and have it translate it.

The big thing on that device, though, is a ginormous 5.5" high resolution screen. In this case the screen makes the device. It isn't pen tile - I'm not sure what to call how they arranged the pixel elements. There are lots of articles out there on it. I can just say it's amazing. It is crisp enough that I can comfortably read text in the 1.5mm high range - putting a lot of information on the screen at once.

So, circling back - with the right technology, a 1280x720 screen in the 5" - 5.5" range is fairly well spot on. I've never seen a 1920x1080 5" screen though - maybe it can be even more impressive.

It's hard to overcome the Android-phone shortcomings though. Not being able to access the file system directoy (not rooted yet)and no way to do even simple cp ../../* . -u type command line commands is a bit stifling. I wish Android shipped on these phones with an unlockable 'power user' functionality that allowed terminal access.

Yes, 1280x720 or 1280x800 would be great.

Anything higher would be overkill and would actually make things harder, because you don't always have (easy) control over the font size and default font sizes will be impossible to read on a 1920x1080 5" screen, even if you are near-sighted like me. Yes, you could put the screen under a magnifying glass or microscope, but that would kind of ruin the experience for me :)

Back