A Clockwork Orange

I defy anyone who prefers films to not be impressed the first time they listen to a book being read by a truly competent reader. The red dwarf Audio books read by Chris Barrie are a prime example. He brings each character to life. You could almost be listening to a play rather than one man reading a book. To me that's what reading a book is like. I can see, hear and feel each place and character with that level of detail in my minds eye. I can't say I could read aloud like Chris Barrie but in my head that's what it is like. When I read the Hobbit to my children I had to tone it down when I got the the spiders bit because they (well the eldest my youngest loves scarey stuff) were so frightened by the characters I created for the spiders.

A film no matter how excellent is and will always be someone elses interpretation of a story. A book on the other hand is your interpetation and no one else will experience that story in quite the same way as you do when you're reading it.

Ah, I thought they were a little short! The Robinson ones, I haven't heard the other ones yet. I'm gonna have to see what I can dig up now.

I think this film is really great!

Be sure to watch Soylent Green, as it has some parallels to A Clockwork Orange (not the story, but the style and visuals)

Back