A Competitor?

_VWV_ said:
link

We don't know the specs yet.. but.. If the screen is of the same size and resolution, then it might be an interesting option.

I don't think having the same screen size makes it similar to pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they're aiming for a completely different market with that... it'll probably be way more expensive, won't be open-source (although it might have Android), and won't have awesome gaming controls like Pandora ;)

Its another MID, its not a direct competitor of pandora but still likely to take some sales away. Same situation for UMPCs like eeepc.

I'm confused. It says it's a 1 Ghz ARM processor. Two things. 1) it shows it running Windows Mobile. Does WM run on ARM?
2) I thought the 600 Mhz CPU the Pandora is going to have is the best ARM CPU there is.

And, (I am amazed I'm the one to say this...) It's not a direct (key word - DIRECT) competitor because it doesn't have gaming controls.

Although, that's not a huge deal since I just bought a $9 pocketable USB game pad at Walmart on Sunday with 6 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, and a D-pad all in a unit that is about the size on my GameBoy Micro. (Complete with retractable USB cord.) No Analog though, much less dual. My Saitek P2500 Rumble game pad has dual analogs, but I wouldn't want to put it in my pocket!

chad78 said:
I'm confused. It says it's a 1 Ghz ARM processor. Two things. 1) it shows it running Windows Mobile. Does WM run on ARM? 2) I thought the 600 Mhz CPU the Pandora is going to have is the best ARM CPU there is.
http://www.drobe.co.uk/riscos/artifact2093.html
FTW

Mmmmm quad core ARM...(but not til at least 2010, Pandora 2 anyone?)

SOLGarion said:
chad78 said:
I'm confused. It says it's a 1 Ghz ARM processor. Two things. 1) it shows it running Windows Mobile. Does WM run on ARM? 2) I thought the 600 Mhz CPU the Pandora is going to have is the best ARM CPU there is.
FTW

It's my theory Nvidia's license of the Cortex A9 is the psp 2 (based on the fact they have a contract from Sony right now worth more than the PS3 GPU), but we'll see :D

SOLGarion said:
chad78 said:
FTW

ARM set out its next-generation processor design stall this week by unveiling a four-core CPU clocked at 1GHz. But chips featuring the Cortex-A9 technology will not arrive until 2010.

Pandora release 2015 ftw.

chad78 said:
I'm confused. It says it's a 1 Ghz ARM processor. Two things. 1) it shows it running Windows Mobile. Does WM run on ARM?
2) I thought the 600 Mhz CPU the Pandora is going to have is the best ARM CPU there is.

1. WM runs on ARM. Most smartphones run an ARM processor, this includes the majority of smartphones.
2. Higher MHZ does not equate to 'best'

I'm not familar with this cpu though, and it _could_ be better, but just because the mhz value is higher, does not automatically make it better.

chad78 said:
1) it shows it running Windows Mobile. Does WM run on ARM?
Very much so. The vast majority of the WM devices are ARM variants with a few MIPS and SH4 exceptions.

This one may be in the same class, though it remains to be seen. Snapdragon was supposed to be using a Cortex variant, but it's not an A9, and it remains to be seen if it's an A8. If neither case is in place, it'll be roughly the same perfomance domain with a higher power consumption. If it's an A8, it'll be about the same level as the Pandora will be in overclock mode.

It's still a prototype, though- and who knows what is actually ON the SOC. Remember they still didn't have any valid Snapdragon silicon when they "demoed" the "prototypes" back at the beginning of this year. It takes a bit of time to tape out working stuff. I'd say we're looking at the first cut of things from Qualcomm and Samsung.

CandidStan said:
ARM set out its next-generation processor design stall this week by unveiling a four-core CPU clocked at 1GHz. But chips featuring the Cortex-A9 technology will not arrive until 2010.
/me nods...

However, having said this, a dual, triple, or quad core SOC with the same parts layup with a lifespan of 2/3rds what we have right now would blow pretty much anything else out of the water. Ah...but a dream right at the moment, though. Let's get the first rev out and we can hope for Pandora 2 being some SMP beast like that. ;)

SOLGarion said:
I can already see the possibilities. ;) And I'll have my Pandora to keep me busy until the Pandora 2, if the Pandora 2 ever does come out. ^_^

-God Ginrai

If it doesn't have gaming controls it's not a competitor.

That said, the CPU here is essentially similar to Cortex-A8 and if the DSP is up to snuff the whole thing could give OMAP3530 a run for its money. OMAP3530 uses the best ARM yet to be released, this one just isn't commercially available yet (and it's probably not better than Cortex-A8, this is just a higher clockspeed, it's obvious they based their design around it.. and Cortex-A8's are supposed to clock at 1GHz too)

Will be interesting to see how this does against those stupid Atom MIDs.

chad78 said:
And, (I am amazed I'm the one to say this...) It's not a direct (key word - DIRECT) competitor because it doesn't have gaming controls.

Now Chad, take big deep breaths.... Relax.... ;)
Spot on though.

Snapdragon has one huge advantage in that it is a far more customized Coretex-A8 then what the 3530 uses. TI basically modified the Coretex-A8 to work in the 3530. Snapdragon's core (Scorpion) is kind of like the Extreme Edition of the Coretex-A8.

Inside DSP has a good analysis.
http://www.insidedsp.com/Articles/tabid/64...rpion-Core.aspx

It is definately faster, and can probably more flexible in power consumption. That plus the fact that Samsung will likely build a custom SoC, which can provide a lot of features and big reductions in power consumption(Load and deeper Idles), but it would have been less then ideal for such a small group and would only make sense for major companies like Samsung.

GunPei2X said:
As much competition as an iPhone is to a DS. That is, almost none.
More like an iPod to a PSP. There is a fair bit of overlap, but not enough that I'd consider them rivals. There is enough room for both to exist.
On the other hand, there's almost nothing comparable between the iPhone and the DS. "they've both got touch screens?"

I'm buying a pandora because I know what the developers are capable of, I can't say that about any other hardware in production.

http://www.digitaltechnews.com/news/2007/0...o-g100-mob.html
mobile_wimax_gaming_device_3.jpg

The competitors all around :)

Back