A Dream Revealed This Question To Me...

kloplop321

Psychotic Trans-dimensional Being
Website
kloplop321.com
I dreamed that I had the pandora, and I used my usb keyboard with it, though I couldn't figure out how to change it so the Pandora could use the keyboard in Dvorak mode. Which made me wonder when I became conscious...

Will the pandora have the ability to change keyboard layouts for USB interface devices without much difficulty?
--Note I am not talking about the keymat on the pandora, I am talking about USB keyboards with the Open Pandora.

Wait, do you use Dvorak in real life or just your dream? If you do do you have a Dvorak deyboard or just change a QWERTY through software?

If you have a Dvorak keyboard no matter what you plug it into it will be Dvorak. If you use software you should check with Ångström, if it has it you shouldn't worry if there is no Pandora specific way to do it.

I believe that X window system supports keymapping natively, so anything build on X should as well (XFCE, Gnome, KDE, etc.)
I'm a bit of a Linux noob so I may be wrong.

I use it in real life. It used to be a qwerty keyboard, but it is made so that the keys can be re-arranged in any order. I do have to set it through software on installation.
On the Angstrom site, all i can find is some package called opie-dvorak_1.2.3-r0_armv5te.ipk
one site reports that
Package details for opie-dvorak 1.2.1-r0 Dvorak keyboard input method

So I guess it may be possible, but is the current Pandora OS Image compatible with these ipkg installation files?

The key mappings can be arbitrarily changed within X. This was a big discussion back when everyone was complaining about the keyboard layout.

If I Recall Correctly, that was for the keymat WizardStan, but thanks for pointing that out.
(My opinion is that Dvorak on small keyboards is NOT a good idea, but on big keyboards it is a good idea, so stay with QWERTY on Pandora)

Oh yeah, using "xmodmap".

I used it to shuffle around some keys to have more accesible Ctrl keys (useful for vim/GNU screen).

I my self have just started learning to user Dvorák. I am 99.9% sure we will have Dvorák support on the Pandora in x though an input method utility like "SCIM" or "UIM", after all all of the Pandora users will not be native English speaker. as a last resort you will at least be able to configure the keymap using xbklayout in your xconfig or xmodmap at an xterm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kloplop321 said:
If I Recall Correctly, that was for the keymat WizardStan, but thanks for pointing that out.
(My opinion is that Dvorak on small keyboards is NOT a good idea, but on big keyboards it is a good idea, so stay with QWERTY on Pandora)
As far as X is concerned, it doesn't care what the source is, an input device is an input device (within their own class of input device, obviously).
A keyboard is a keyboard is a keyboard, whether it's the tiny thumb board on the Pandora or plugged into the USB, it'll accept it as a keyboard device and you just change the mapping.

setxkbmap -device <devID> -layout us -variant dvorak

You can also set it in xorg.conf (or the new way, xorg-options through hal).

And there might even be a nice frontend.

The packagers of the official os-image might however decide to not install additional layouts though, if they feel they need the space. In that case, you'll have to install an additional package.
On my (gentoo-)machine, the package containing all X11-keymaps (x11-misc/xkeyboard-config) takes up 2MByte. That might not sound like a lot, but remember that image will have to fit into panda's 512MB of onboard flash.

Well, they also were planing to originally fit the OS on just 256MB when they were planning to use the old chips
I think that if DSL can be around 50MB, that they can be quite small too

Laurencevde said:

i thought hal was being deprecated in favor of devicekit ( this may just be on ubuntu x86)

xweb said:
Laurencevde said:

i thought hal was being deprecated in favor of devicekit ( this may just be on ubuntu x86)

If it's something you remember from ubuntu, it's more than likely one of their hacks. However, I don't know enough about this subject to confirm it either way.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
xweb said:
Laurencevde said:

If it's something you remember from ubuntu, it's more than likely one of their hacks. However, I don't know enough about this subject to confirm it either way.

-God Ginrai

no, it look like devicekit is gonna replace hal on all distros.

xweb said:
no, it look like devicekit is gonna replace hal on all distros.

only DeviceKit-disks and DeviceKit-power is being brought in. All other HAL functionality is being replaced by udev. Furthermore, XFCE uses a lot of GNOME utilities so I imagine it'd be just as easy to switch to DVORAK as it is in GNOME itself. It's no harder than adding the layout and switching to it by either some applet or using a key combo that you yourself specify.

http://dreammoods.com/cgibin/dreamdictionarysearch.pl?method=exact&header=dreamsymbol&search=dvorak

Oh my god your dream is not interpretable

closest I came was http://dreammoods.com/cgibin/dreamdictionarysearch.pl?method=exact&header=dreamsymbol&search=computer

:p

To see a computer in your dream, symbolizes technology, information, and modern life. New areas of opportunities are being opened to you. Alternatively, computers also represent a lack of individuality and non expression of emotions and feelings. Too often you are just going along with the flow, without voicing your own opinions and views. You may also feel a depreciated sense of superiority.

feeling unsure about something? the pandora perhaps

Back