A Few Questions Before I Concidered Buying

Shazza

Still Fresh
Hello all, im shazza, and im new to the board...

i saw that there was a programming contest for people and you could with a gp2x, im like "wtf is that?" and than i looked into it, it sounds amazing, i have a PSP but with v2.1+ you cannot run emulators/roms/homebrew, which makes me very sad, i used to have homebrew on my PSP, and i loved it, but i upgraded because i wanted to see and test the web browser (it was alright)...anyway...what exactly can a GP2X do, and ive heard about GP2X BLU + or something, what are BLU or BLU +'s, whats better, whats the prices, and is GP2X a newer model of GP32???

--Thanks for your time

---sHazza

Click Me

^^ This was literally like an inch above your topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know, i read all that, but it doesnt really say much about the applications it can run and stuff...like...is there a is it wi-fi compatable? is there a web browser? (if so) is there a keyboard? and i see now that the GP2X looks like the best out of the two, but i still dont understand what the BLU and BLU+'s are, has there been any malfunctions with any of the GP2X's or GP32's??

--thanx (sorry for misunderstanding)

The BLU was a model of GP32, which was out many years before then GP2x. (BLU means, back lit unit, and the '+' represented a different model of screen used for the BLU, which some couldn't run properly. This was later fixed, and isn't a problem)

The Gp2x is the new handheld made by (mostly) the same people.

Depending where you live you can buy from gp2x.co.uk or http://www.gp32z.com/gp2x.html

alright, and im assuming the GP2X is backlit (btw i live in the states)

there is no wifi for the gp2x, not that many people have one so what would be the point! ;) gamepark holdings, which make the gp2x tried to make cheapest and best unit you could get.
It really is amazing, not matter what people say on here, they just like to moan i guess!

At the moment i dont reckon that you should get one yet, because iyou might have a unit with the old firmware and not one worhth upgrading to! I reckon that you should at least wait a month, or so until the next proper firmware is released. And that should be the start of good things to happen.

The reason why im saying this is coz you have a psp, and are used to things working as they should when you bought it...
The gp2x IS amazing, but the firmware is a little hap-hazard at most times, so until the update is ready for downlaod and we give it the thumbs up, then chances are you might be a bit dissapointed until some minor errors are ironed out.

but then again , what it does so far it does extremely well. And its good to have the unit ready in your palms just incase something amazing comes out for it!

Its totally up to you really, id say YES GET ONE! coz i have a psp aswell, and i actually like the 2x more than my psp! But until the gp2x is ironed out and has soe more cool things on it for me, my ds sits at the throne :)

Also, it runs linux, and already there are ported things like
lynx (web browser)
pdfview (adobe pdf viewer with bookmark support)
madplay (mp3 command line, for playing music while using anything)
mplayer (the default movie player built in for divx, xvid, ...)
sterm (terminal program for doing bash stuff)
flashplay (macromedia flash player)

and then all the emulators ... homebrew games ...

Really an awesome system, and very very young in its life cycle, so there should be a lot more comming.

Shazza posted on Feb 8 2006 at 06:02 PM said:
if i already own a psp, is the gp2x worth it?

Absolutely! $ony is trying to stop homebrew, the GP2X was designed for it ...

If you don't play many commercial games, don't mind bugs here and there, and don't complain the second people say it has no wifi, it's definately worth it. For the applications/games, why don't you go check out the GP2X file archive?

Edit: haha, quadruple post,

wow, you guys must love this thing...it seems sweet, its just wierd that ive never heard about it, prolly because all the commercial buyers want what the company intends, i guess (such as sony updating, and all the average buyers updating, because SONY IS GOD....right?) it just makes me mad that i have to put up a fight to run homebrew on PSP....and with the GP2X...its pretty much handed to you it seems like :p....thanks guys

psp is so popular coz it makes people so much money who sell them and its not just that, they make LOADS off the software too!

The gp2x however is more of a personal entertainment player. with emphasis on the word PERSONAL. You see, you can pretty much do what you want with it. With a psp, you can watch film... play games... um. general things like that really. With gp2x you can do whatever you like! skin all the menus to have pictures of whatever, listen to any mp3s you like, watch divx xvid etc movies! no need to buy crappy umd movies, just buy the original dvd, and rip it to your pc to an avi and watch it on your gp2x! and the amazing thing is that the movie library is much MUCH more vast for the 2x than the umd library is!

GPH as i was saying want to make best and cheapest unit. And they succeeded! When you hold it, you WILL cry! and everyone who i showed it to are AMAZED!

oh, not to forget that you can plug it into your telly and have your own console or movie player on there!
you also dont need to do much to the movie files! because when you watch it on telly you will want the files to be bigger and better looking than just 320x240 size!

Another thing is that it is a TRUE portable console, built in batteries are AWFUL, especially if you use it alot. With a psp you watch a film, play a bit of a game and its dead! and you gotta pay £40 for another battery if you want to continue without having to wait for a recharge!.
For £40 you can get LOADS of batteries which are rechargable, and you can use them for loads of other things too.
gp2x has got its brain where digital cameras have. digital cameras use chargable reusable aa or aaa batteries coz simply they eat up batteries! and its useless for the user if it goes dead and you cant find a replacement anywhere! also sd cards are SO much cheaper than sonys memory pro duo sticky crap!

So everything about the gp2x is geared more towards US, than making profit for themselves. Which is why we love it so much i guess!

Its different to the psp, completely, so do not compare it! i find it better than the psp because personally apart from games, everything else the psp is just an expensive gimmick in my view. it just cost too damn much!

But with the 2x you got great people to help you out, not a crappy sony helpline, and you got REAL people who understand your problems and are generally great and love games and everything about the 2x, i mean, ask craigx hes DA MAN!
There is always going to be something new for you and your gp2x, and im sure that you will have great joy with this, and the whole experience!

The gp2x seems a bit crap now, because its only about two months old really, and gamepark holdings have rushed it out. But as soon as they iron out the problems, even with a unit you by NOW, there will be no problems!
And you are in good hands when you come on here for some help, you wont get this from any other product!if you want a unit which is PERECT right NOW then dont get a gp2x. everything is great now, a little buggy at the moment, like when you turn it on, it doesnt boot first time, and some iffy directions with the joystick and the screen has a couple of wavey lines. But this is to do with the firmwares configuration, not any hardware defect.

Just wait for the new firmware i say, and let us review it for you. if you see the moany people in here smile when the new firmware is out you will know then if its worth getting! ;)

Play-Asia's having a sale on 'em (among many other items). Might be worth considering. ;D

Deevee posted on Feb 8 2006 at 06:55 PM said:
Play-Asia's having a sale on 'em (among many other items). Might be worth considering. ;D

WOW, that is a good deal ... but this bit is misleading:

2AA Batteries: You can watch 320*240(30frame) of video file for approximately 8 hours and listen to mp3 file for approximately 14 hours (LCD off ) continuously with 2AA batteries.

:lol: 8 hours! :lol:

TelcoLou posted on Feb 9 2006 at 12:58 AM said:
WOW, that is a good deal ... but this bit is misleading:
Yeah, true. XP I guess they're still going with the originally announced specs.

Still, a good deal is a good deal. :D

WOW, that is a good deal

Yeah, it is a good deal, and it gets even better. I just noticed that if you buy any of the discounted items, you get entered in a drawing for some really nice prizes. Not only that, but you might win an instant prize.

Check it out!

You can have homebrew on 2.01+, but at the moment you need to do it via the game GTA Liberty Stories, and a hacked save file. A small price to pay for portable emulation goodness though.

Back