A Little Help Maybe?

Hey everyone,

I got my Wiz about a week ago, and I think the thing is great. I'm impressed with a lot of the emulators (mainly because I see how much potential they have) and can't wait to see them improve. But I have noticed something that is bothering me.

I seem to struggle to get a lot of things to run correctly. For instance, the quake files from the Wiz download site won't load at all on my Wiz. I tried the most updated one (http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,11) and it just said loading forever and I was forced to reset my Wiz. I also tried an older version (http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,26). This one said loading but then kicked me back to the Wiz's home menu screen.

I then started trying to mess with Sonic Robo Blast 2. Nothing also.

Finally, I read about the flash support, and someone mentioned that all you need is to get an swf file and it should run. Unfortunately, NONE of the swf files I've downloaded have worked. The first two I tried, the Wiz said "Cannot load this type of file" (or something to that extent) despite the fact that it was an swf file. I tried two more, one loaded but wouldn't get past the first screen. The second said loading but froze also (forcing a reset again).

I don't have issues with all of my games. I've got the SNES, Genesis, CPS2 (which is amazing btw, kudos to whoever coded/ported it), SMS/GameGear, and NES emulators all working, not to mention a few other "homebrew" type games. But still, those flash games and quake refuse to work.

Anyone know if the Wiz is just still too infantile to have decent compatability or if these compatability issues should be fixed? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks everyone!

, SMS/GameGear, and NES emulators all working, not to mention a few other "homebrew" type games. But still, those flash games and quake refuse to work.

Anyone know if the Wiz is just still too infantile to have decent compatability or if these compatability issues should be fixed? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks everyone!
ok, i may be able to clearify a bit. firstly, check my post on Sonic robo battle 2 (SRB2) just below this topic. Pickle was nice enough to clear things up for me and should be more then you need to get it working. it works for me and im no genius.

the flash games however are tricky. firstly, you have to load them directly to NAND memory or else the unit wont see the SWF. open the NAND when you plug in ur Wiz to the PC and add the SWF's to the flash folder. if they dont work, its prob. because they are for flash 9 or better. thats was my prob. with fancy pants 2. flash isnt optimized though and is a big rough when played.

Sonic is pretty nice though. could use a tighter framerate though lol..........another thing i would expect to be better as time goes on

Last edited by a moderator:
, SMS/GameGear, and NES emulators all working, not to mention a few other "homebrew" type games. But still, those flash games and quake refuse to work.

Thanks everyone!
ok, i may be able to clearify a bit. firstly, check my post on Sonic robo battle 2 (SRB2"] just below this topic. Pickle was nice enough to clear things up for me and should be more then you need to get it working. it works for me and im no genius.

the flash games however are tricky. firstly, you have to load them directly to NAND memory or else the unit wont see the SWF. open the NAND when you plug in ur Wiz to the PC and add the SWF's to the flash folder. if they dont work, its prob. because they are for flash 9 or better. thats was my prob. with fancy pants 2. flash isnt optimized though and is a big rough when played.

Sonic is pretty nice though. could use a tighter framerate though lol..........another thing i would expect to be better as time goes on[/quote]Alright, thanks for all the info and help man!

. This one said loading but then kicked me back to the Wiz's home menu screen.
Your first link is to Quake 2 which sadly, is currently broken. Your second link is to an old version of Quake 1. Two different games that need different game files.

Long story short - a lot of the developers have pre-release versions of the Wiz hardware, with pre-release firmware. Quake 2 ran fine on the developer hardware, but does not (currently) run on the release hardware. Compounding this rotten situation is that a few of the developers bricked their machines trying to update to the release firmware, so at this point in time they don't have a way to fix what they have already released, or properly test what they are about to release. If I was in charge of developer relations at GPH I would have had this fixed yesterday shipping out release units gratis to the developers who actually make their product worth owning. I am not sure what GPH is actually doing -- I am not a developer and don't have any information on what is happening behind the scenes.

If you want to run Quake 1, this this version ( http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,15 ) - it runs very well on my Wiz, including both official Mission Packs. Be aware that you will have to obtain the proper .PAK files to run the game - the download is only the engine to run the game on the Wiz.

If you want to run Quake 2, currently you are out of luck because Pickle replaced the earlier sort of working version with the newer ioquake 2 (which had fixes for game saving and running the mission packs). His intentions were good, but unfortunately, the version I have that actually runs OK no longer exists at the file archive (well, it plays the game, but can't save, and you have disable the sound to get the mission packs to run).

Lets all hope that this firmware snafu gets resolved quickly. Please don't blame the developers of these games. I for one am very happy that there are people who devote time to this and they deserve all the support they can get while they work through this problem. Right now we are all pioneers. :) If my experience with the GP2X is any indication there'll be an explosion of quality software soon enough.

I like the Wiz - it's got a robust feel, the screen is teriffic, and there are enough games currently working on it to make it worth having. Also, I love having a game machine I can tinker around with.

Cheers.

Back