A New Gp32 Owner

demonblaze

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I just managed to get myself a gp32 off ebay for the bargain price of £26.80 (inc postage) and just wondered how I go about telling the model when I finally get it (if it's blu or flu). I've had my GP2X since day and love the machine but always felt that I was missing out on some great gp32 only games hence why I bought the machine. Is there a pdf guide similar to the GP2X one?

If you can barely see the screen indoors then it's a nlu, if it's a lit screen with a little switch to toggle the light on the back somewhere then it's a flu, and if it's lit with no switch then it's a blu or blu+ (a blu with a different lcd). The blu+ lcd works differently to the older lcds and so some software looks corrupt on it.

Cool thanks. Hopeing it'll just be a regular blu, thought it would have come today so I could check but no such luck. Damn Royal Mail to hell and back :huh:

Once you get it download any application from the archive that has both Blu and Blu+ editions, the one that will work for you will define whether you have a Blu or Blu+.

gp32_console :wub:

Download DrMD (The Megadrive Emulator), So you can see just how good it is on the GP32, And it has a menu toggle option for Blu/Blu+ so you can tell which model Blu you do have. That is unless you end up with a Flu or a Nlu.

Oh, And just for you reference.

Nlu = Non Lit Unit (No light)
Flu = Front Lit Unit (Botton on the back)
Blu = Back Lit Unit (like a regular LCD monitor, Pocket PC, Mobile phone etc)
Blu+ = Back Lit Unit (Same as above with the new screen)

Hope this helps.

IMAGE_002.jpg
:wub:

Trooper

Thanks for all the help, hopeing it'll arrive later before I head to work. From the item decription it could well be one of the last BLU+ units craigx sold before the release of the GP2X. Either way I'll let you know but right now I'm off to try and source some commercial games for it :D

cozmic posted on Sep 14 2006 at 02:16 PM said:
Why would he be screwed?

You can always format a smc with the special formatter and put programs on the card

Because the original/default firmware from GamePark in Nlu's and most Flu GP32's did not allow homebrew to be run from the SMC without the aid of a program provided by GamePark called Freelauncher. Later models of the GP32, Blu's and Blu+'s were sold already flashed with a hacked firmware that allowed you to run homebrew on the GP32 without the aid of said program.

Originally, To get the freelauncher program, You had to register your GP32 console on-line with GamePark, Which would read the unique id number from your GP32 and encode any games or programs you downloaded from them (including freelauncher) with that unique id number, So that they would only run on the GP with the same number. GameParks GP32 website does not exist anymore, So in that sense you are stuffed if you have the original firmware still installed.

EDIT: That is unless you can find a hacked version of freelauncher, irc* was the last place i heard that was possible of finding said program.

I have never used irc*, But i`m sure someone here could guide you, Or you could search the board too, you may also find the correct address while you are at it.

*internet relay chat.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose f it came to that I could try begging :lol: . I have noticed 2 DVDs of software for the GP32 on ebay at the mo for under £5 (including postage) so if the worst happens I could check them out although it might be a little redundant if the progs have to match the serial code...

Drum-roll... It's a NLU. Finally came today so I checked it out when I got home from work. It came with 2 SMCS (64mb & 128mb) and a cd with a few progs on it. The 64mb card loads if I switch the machine on with it already in and contains DRMD 4 with some roms (starting with an old gbax splash screen). The other card has mame but dosn't seem to load when it's in. I can't find that free launcher prog anywhere though so that sucks. Also got a USB cable for connection but I'll just use my card reader for now.

demonblaze posted on Sep 15 2006 at 06:40 PM said:
Drum-roll... It's a NLU. Finally came today so I checked it out when I got home from work. It came with 2 SMCS (64mb & 128mb) and a cd with a few progs on it. The 64mb card loads if I switch the machine on with it already in and contains DRMD 4 with some roms (starting with an old gbax splash screen). The other card has mame but dosn't seem to load when it's in. I can't find that free launcher prog anywhere though so that sucks. Also got a USB cable for connection but I'll just use my card reader for now.
im really suprised at this community, especially the older members who know more about the 32 than I. When you mentioned the price you paid I immediately assumed it was a NLU, as BLUs and FLUs go for more ;)

Regardless, all gp32s are awesome, and im sure you'll enjoy everything your new handheld has to offer.

LONG LIVE gp32_console :D

demonblaze posted on Sep 15 2006 at 06:40 PM said:
Yeah, I'm not surprised it's a NLU. But a GP32's a GP32, which is always a good thing. :)

If you were able to load DrMD you don't need Freelauncher. Obviously the person who owned it before you flashed the firmware to one of the newer homebrew-friendly ones. Be sure to download Another World, New Super Pang, GPSudoku, Lacuna, GPcinema, Doom (and Quake, Rise of the Triad, Heretic, Hexen all run very nice)... Well, just browse GP32 File Archive. There's a lot of fun to be had. Congrats on the good purchase. ;)

That's what I thought, but when I tried to load the 128mb card with mame on it it just loaded the gamespark software (it dosn't look any different than some of the pics I've seen). Should I try flashing it with a newer firmware? I was looking at Slub realease (GPDRIVE edition) and thought I could give that a go. On the plus side I can use the adapter I bought from craigx for the gp2x on the gp32. On the whole it seems like a great machine so far bar the screen but I'm looking at ways I could mod it.

Was the firmware blue or pink ?

If it was the blue one, you dont need to flash a new FW since it doesn´t need freelauncher, but Slubmans FW is still better.

one of the firmwares was orange.... thats the old one. It had 3 rotating cicles... it had 3 options; Game, MP3 and PC-link.

the euro fw is blue + while and has a bouncing "G" logo. it has 2 options : Game an PC-link, iirc

The orange one pictured at the bottom. I'm going to search for a guide when I get home tonight and flash slubs firmware onto my machine and try out some of the stuff I've downloaded. Out of interest will commercial games still work with slubs firmware?

demonblaze posted on Sep 18 2006 at 11:49 AM said:
The orange one pictured at the bottom. I'm going to search for a guide when I get home tonight and flash slubs firmware onto my machine and try out some of the stuff I've downloaded. Out of interest will commercial games still work with slubs firmware?

personally i would flash gpbios http://www.gpbios.tk/

Back