A New Way To Get Existing Games/software Ported To Pandora

stustaff

Ok I was thinking today that I will love my pandora and want to help it. I was also thinking there is software out there that I love! and isnt ported yet.

So I thought about this.. The Portdora Bounty System.

Basically each month people would make a vote on a game/software and then the one with the most votes gets ported, 2 missing things a way of generating money and someone to give the money too who would do the port.

Solution 1 the money
each month people can pay some money to vote for a game to be ported to pandora It would be say £5 to suggest a game and £1 to vote for an existing game and you could vote as many times as you wanted ALL of the money spent on votes would go to getting the winning game ported.

Solution 2 Someone to port
Basically it then becomes a bounty system, whoever does the work first to an agreed spec(over 50% of voters confirm they think the port is good enough) gets the money.

What do people think of this? I'd love your thoughts. lets pick this apart find all the problems with it and see if there is a way to get it working?

It's a similar idea to what I've already seen on other sites.
I think its a good idea but also I think that if to ever try something like this, setting the priority for a port by need (determined by user vote) rather then by cash bounty is better.
Somehow I don't see money right for this sort of requests.

I have very little disposable money (actually I have none, but now and again I starve myself) but if someone ports something I really want/like I might forego a luxuary and donate what I can. No way would I ever pay to vote for something that might never actually get done (except of course the Pandora its self!).

TitanUranus said:
No way would I ever pay to vote for something that might never actually get done (except of course the Pandora its self!)

Ohhh Snap!

I would support a system where it is based on voters, not the amount paid, but it would be much simpler just to have a Pandora App Store, and when they see there is a game people want, they will get paid if they can make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I proposed this in 2008 and Chip shot me down for it.

He pointed out that devs will work on whatever they want. The fun factor for devs is more important than user need.

SomeGuy99 said:

He pointed out that devs will work on whatever they want. The fun factor for devs is more important than user need.
Chip has a point but I hope that the Pandora will attract more devs than the GP2X did. I'm sure if it's just a 'port' and not a game idea then this might work. Maybe Pandora will attract tons of devs that would be cool with this.

second exodous said:
SomeGuy99 said:

Chip has a point but I hope that the Pandora will attract more devs than the GP2X did. I'm sure if it's just a 'port' and not a game idea then this might work. Maybe Pandora will attract tons of devs that would be cool with this.

It's kind of a paradox really: users want all the cool stuff that devs make, but devs want to make whatever they enjoy. Unless money is involved...? So users flock to platforms with all the cool stuff, and sometimes the devs get irritated by the nagging from part of their userbase.

ARDUINO!
I pay!

(a generic ARM(EL) .deb file, so it can be used on my N900, too :D )

Back