A New Window Manager For Xfce ?

Hmm, after using Bluetile for a while I think the problem with it on the Pandora will be you only have so much space, I wouldn't put more than two windows in each desktop. I still think just having multiple desktops and using the rightmost button and the leftmost button to scroll through desktops is the best bet. That or some other buttons to scroll through desktops, when using the stylus you can just click to switch.

dentrado said:
edit: the first to use tabs was PWM.
What about Haiku/BeOS? Granted, they aren't window managers, but in those OSes, windows *are* friggin tabs. They're working on a patch that lets you drop a window onto another window to arrange their tabs automatically.

Anyways, point is: it isn't an original idea, nothing is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used ION3 till I read in this forum that its developer has quit using LiNUX :eek:
Then I switched to XMonad yesterday. The Bluetile is annoying (loose of space on the left side, no config file).

However, I really miss the possibility to use tabs AND tiling. Meaning, each tile can have tabs.
The XMonad layout "Tabbed" is just one tile with tabs. Does someone know of any other layout which fulfills my needs?

So far:

1. There are many possible choices for a window manager.
  2. XFCE being a desktop environment, these window managers can be integrated with it.
  3. To make it work better with the stylus, just tweak some settings (fonts sizes, double click timing…). Anyway, no big deal.

Still missing :

1. Where could we find a suitable mod key for window management operations and other OS short cuts?
  2. Where is the Control key? And the Alt key? And the Windows key? And the Sun Meta key (just kidding)?
  3. Can someone point me to the specs of the Pandora keyboard?

Loup Vaillant said:
  1. Where could we find a suitable mod key for window management operations and other OS short cuts?
Mod key? What about the center buttons (Start, Select, Menu) or else just the function keys (they are a lot more accessible than on a desktop)?
Loup Vaillant said:
  1. Where is the Control key? And the Alt key? And the Windows key? And the Sun Meta key (just kidding)?
Isn't Windows == Meta on Linux?
Anyways: http://pandorapress.net/2009/09/22/photo-the-final-keymat-2/
Loup Vaillant said:
  1. Can someone point me to the specs of the Pandora keyboard?
Specs? You mean how it is constructed, like what kind of rubber was used etc? Don't know what you're asking...

Thank you for the photograph. Indeed, start and select are a good option. I see they are mapped to Control and Alt, so Ctrl+Alt+something look like excellent key bindings for a window manager.

By specs, I meant a photo plus key codes, e.g. what is the corresponding QWERTY key for each OP key. I was especially interested in the position of the mod keys, and I am quite happy with what I saw.

If I recall correctly, the Sun Meta key and the Windows key don't send the same key code. So they are not the same. Yeah, that sucks. ;)

Loup Vaillant said:
So far:

1. There are many possible choices for a window manager.
  2. XFCE being a desktop environment, these window managers can be integrated with it.
  3. To make it work better with the stylus, just tweak some settings (fonts sizes, double click timing…). Anyway, no big deal.

Still missing :

2. Where is the Control key? And the Alt key? And the Windows key? And the Sun Meta key (just kidding)?
  3. Can someone point me to the specs of the Pandora keyboard?
Alt-Control? You mean, 'Select', and 'Start'. :D

grasshoppir said:
i thought the alt and ctrl modifiers were on L & R :/
You can change it by recompiling the kernel ;)

(or there might even be a config file somewhere that you can change, who knows)

Sphinxter said:
dflemstr said:
grasshoppir said:
i thought the alt and ctrl modifiers were on L & R :/
You can change it by recompiling the kernel ;)

(or there might even be a config file somewhere that you can change, who knows)

man xmodmap
Nope, not if L and R are mapped to the mouse buttons (which is how the OP devs want it to be for some reason)

I like L and R as the modifier buttons. That means I have 16 possible combinations using the ABXY buttons for shortcuts.

oh they're for mouse stuff, i always thought the L&R travel distance would be too far for a nice mouse click!

but i agree, noob friendliness is top priority! :)

Back